1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke selection for trap...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OldGoat, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

A related thread suggests using "turkey" chokes for trap. Several postings have analyzed this very effectively, but...

I think we can all agree: Once projectile(s) depart the barrel of a shotgun or rifle, the shooter has lost absolute control of them and the physical forces of gravity, wind, ballistic characteristics of the projectiles (and others) take over. The shooter then is simply a spectator, watching to see where the projectile(s) connect with the intended (hoped for) target. That is where good fortune (aka "luck") describe the performance or success of the shot...usually in terms of a % of the intended result...a 100% pattern or "bullseye" was influenced directly by the physical dynamics acting on the projectile(s) rather the skill of the shooter..."Kentucky Windage" notwithstanding. All the conjecture about pattern percentages is a nice way to harmlessly pass time on a cold winter day. Best Regards, Ed

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Grandma... who is 99 (G-D Bless Her!) always told me "Luck" is "preparation meeting opportunity"... so, based upon that - we make our own luck.

Forget the choke theory, when I provide my "guest" gun to a new shooter - they get the ol' #1 in the Browning - Mr. Full... they'll either have sucess or they wont... shoot how you should and the birds will break...

Happy Holidays all,

Jay

3. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

I have shot with about any choke combination you can imagine------it seems that there are more important factors than choke…..Gun fit – gun point – gun mount – gun pointing and follow thru etc.
    After trying a lot of chokes – from 16 yards and way beyond…..tighter is better.
    It seems I read somewhere that one of our most successful trap shooters reply when making choke recommendations is – ‘any choke is ok as long as it’s full” –
    But as with any thing, everyone has their opinion and there is probably some truth and facts found somewhere in about all of them.

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Hey Ed. Its pretty warm down here on the bottom of the planet!

5. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Hi Tim, Hope things are well there. I like your messages on here about shooting/hunting in the "Dark Continent". Got to South Dakota twice this fall...pheasant numbers were down where we went, but still got enough birds. Sitting out the winter league at Smithville and catching up on reloading. Best Regards, Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
choke selection for trap

choke selection for trap shooting

trap choke selection

trap choke tube selection

trap shooting choke selection

trapshooting choke selection