1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

choke seized in gun now what?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bodybuilder, Jun 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I have a choke tube seized up in a gun does anyone know any tricks for getting it out? Thanks

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

First I would try Liquid Wrench and soaking throughly for a period. If that doesn't get it try heat.

3. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

You could send it back to the manufactuer.
    Joe goldberg

4. John 53

John 53 Member

Try some Aero Kroil, and as the label says, wait a while. After you get the choke out, be sure to lubricate the threads in the gun and choke.

5. nipper

nipper TS Member

try the search feature, this has been answered 100 times

bill

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Send it to a choke manufacture or the factory. The last gun I attempted to remove a stuck choke tube from was a browning superposed Didn't damage the tube but applied enough torque to break the side ribs loose! Wasn't my gun a friend's after paying Arts Gun shop to fix and re blue the barrels. Lost the friend not a good friend; kind of an Idiot but I learned a lesson about working on choke tubes.
    Joe goldberg

7. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

100 straight has a tool for this. Look under Products.

8. old pipe

old pipe TS Member

Aloha guys! I posted this problem a few weeks ago and said that I will post on what I did to get this stuck choke out. I bought this stuck choke remover from Brownells and it did take out the stuck choke. Its a well made tool. It did scratch the choke tube but with a polishing hone it will take out the scratches. The choke was stuck because moisture some how got between the tube and barrel,rusted the two together. Cleaned that area with a bore brush attached to my drill. Greased it well and gun ready to shoot again.
    Note: Be sure to secure the barrel, a vise is best, chuck it close to the choke tube. Any questions just E-mail me. Howard Chang

9. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Pineapple,

I would change one thing in your response; put the wrench in the vise and bring the barrels to the wrench. This is what many choke manufacturers recommend.

10. old pipe

old pipe TS Member

Birddogs, I agree with you only after the choke tube starts moving, I don`t think the rib can take that much pressure or scratch the barrel with what ever tool you use to grab it, or dent the rib. I used the rubber jaws in my vise to hold the barrel, it was hard turning all the way, the rust was pushing on the choke tube. Flooded with LPS #1, when the threads ended I put the remover tool
    in the vise and twisted and pull till it came out. Not a job for the faint hearted. This tool is a must have if you work on guns with choke tubes.
    Aloha, pineapple

11. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I have used "Free-gun", a product developed by Frenchy Frigon. I am not sure but I think it is still available from his son, Phil in Kansas. Plug the muzzle, fill the bbl. an inch or more over the choke tube. The next day you should be able remove the tube by hand. I had a choke tube that had been in a gun for over 10 years with a lot of shooting and nothing would budge it. Frenchy told me to try the process, it unscrewed with my fingers.

12. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Hey targetmaster, I agree with billj, maybe not necessarily with the use of boiling water. But, I think heat is the answer. Using a hair dryer around the outside of the barrels near the muzzle may help. A buddy of mine had a thinwall stuck in a set of K-32 barrels and he put a barrel brush (bronze) in a cordless drill and ran it on high speed for about 3-5 minutes. Then he reversed the drill and it backed right out. I don't know if it was the heat from the friction, the vibration, luck or a combination of the three but it backed out when he hit reverse on the drill. Good luck and good shooting, John E.

13. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Well...I'm glad you got it out and the tool worked for you. Me...I'm a fan of Kroil...but let it soak for a few days. Driving it in with a heat gun (hair drier) ain't bad either.

Tried to get the fitting that holds the fore end off of a 50's Mod 12...Kroil and patience worked.

Cheers

14. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Billj is correct! Take sauce pan and bring it to boil with water. Soak end of barrel in water for 5-10 minutes and will come right out. Did it many times.

15. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

another idea. warm the barrel with a hair dryer and melt a crayon or candle into the top of the barrel threaded end. the heat will wick the wax between the threads and the choke will come out. It works great on stuck pipe plugs in plumbing. Only have to get it hot enough to melt the wax. Good Luck Motordoc

16. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Beeswax was always the old mechanic's trick on rusty or stuck bolts. Heat them till warm to the touch (don't try to melt the rib off) then apply beeswax and let it melt into the threads. Will loosen almost anything. Yes, it works on choke tubes as well.

Big Jack

17. mike moncilovich

mike moncilovich TS Member

Preventive maint: a litle dab of never-seize and tube will never freeze again. Also helps to clean the damn thing once and awhile...Mike

18. claybuster38

claybuster38 Member

PB blaster ( from Wallmart) is super stuff. had you inverted the Barrel in a containerwith about an inch and half for a couple of days It would have slipped right out with the choke wrench. The other good stuff is the Kroil previously mentioned - thats what most gunsmiths use. Key is don't force em.
    clean and fresh grease now and then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

seized choke

who to free a seized gun choke