1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke Recommendation for Long Range Target Shootin

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dannyw68, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dannyw68

dannyw68 Member

At my gun club, we often have shoots where a bunch of us line up maybe 20-30 yards behing the 27 yard mark and shoot at targets from the trap house. I have heard it called a 'Pot Shoot' and an 'Annie Oakley' shoot, but have no idea what its really called. The longest shot possible from this location probably approaches 100 yards and I have seen targets hit at that range.

What would you recommend as far as chokes to have any kind of chance at hitting a target at that range? I have a Browning XT trap with 32" barrels. My tightest choke is currently a full.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I hear that coppper plated #6s with green dot powder work well with a full choke. HMB

3. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I shoot my regular 1200 FPS trap loads with homemade #8's for Annie Oakley. I normally use a full choke in my BT-99, and I've won my fair share Annie shoots. Sometimes I'll use my extra full for fun, but then again, what else could you call it? Why some people think that you need to switch to a high power load with 7.5's to break birds from that far back, I don't know. I've seen people say "I use 8's from the 16-22 yard line and switch to a 7.5 handicap load from 23-27..." and my first response is "why?". If you're on the bird, you're on the bird, it's that simple, you can't rely on the fringe of your pattern breaking a bird from that far back and you shouldn't rely on it when you're close. Hope this helps, Josh.

4. dannyw68

dannyw68 Member

Thanks guys.

I am debating whether I should by an extra full (0.695") or a Turkey super full (0.665"). There is only a $5 difference between the two and I don't want to buy both. The choke will only be used for the shooting I described above. What do you think?

5. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Full will do just fine,5s and 4s...If your shooting 5 bird,6s work great...GOOD LUCK

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

We do the same and I use 28gr Longshot,1 1/4oz of hard 6s' in a AA yellow wad,Nobel Sport primer, all wrapped up in a STS hull. 5 in a row and you win the jackpot.(usually about 100 bucks) It helps pay for my shooting.

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Danny,

A standard Full (.035) choke will do quite nicely for the distances you're describing. Even when the target is way out there, it's still plenty of choke.

ec90t

8. atashooter

atashooter Member

I use a .640. Which on my 34" Perazzi .720 bore is a .080 constriction.It shoots like a rifle darn near.

9. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

I shoot Annie Oakley on a regular basis. I use the same load that I shoot regular trap only change the shot to #6 for first shot and #5 for 2,3,4th shoot.
    Remington hulls, Rem 209p or CCI 209 primer, Fig 8 wad and 19 grains of Red Dot gives me right at 1200FPS. Will dust them out 75-100 yrds with a full choke.

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I would use KICK'S .040 full or their Turkey Full Contact me for best price as I sell them, e-mail me at above address. I have sold a lot of these for this type of shooting.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

My experience with long range shooting is that patterns go to hell at around 55 to 60 yards regardless of the choke used.

The main criteria for breaking targets at long distance is having a pellet size that will deliver sufficient energy to break the target at that range, combined with a substantial dose of luck.

If you doubt this, just put your favorite long distance choke/load combo on paper at 80 yards and report the results back to me. :)

Easystreet

12. dannyw68

dannyw68 Member

Thanks for the recommendations. I just bought a Carlson Extra Full at (0.695). I usually shoot #5 or #6 when I enter shoot this event. But up until now I have only had a Remington 1100 with a modified choke and I have yet to hit one.

13. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Browning chokes are more open than other mfgrs because Browning uses a different system for rating chokes. I had a Browning Invector Full and it measured .030 constriction and I didn't like my Handicap results until I put in the Extra Full choke tube which gave .036 constriction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.