1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke question 1100 20 ga Skeet B

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ke4yyd, Aug 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I recently purchased a very nice 1100 20 ga standard weight B Skeet model. The barrel has skeet stamped on it indicating a skeet choke. I measured the constriction and found it was a negative .005, that is a bell choke. One forum member suggested it might be a Baker Super Skeet Choke, a modification of the Tula choke.
    I made the following measurements with my feeler gauge starting from the muzzle end.

The choke on this gun, the best I can measure, has about a 1.5 inch parallel section from the muzzle end then a .5 inch taper down to about .005 constiction, then begins to open after a 1 inch parallel. I can't measure any farther as my feeler gauge will only measure about 3 inches deep.

Visible Tool markings plainly show the inch .005 constriction but does not show any indication of a jug in the bore that one would expect in the Tula style.

Some more measurments.

The parallel portion at the muzzle is .618 inches
    The parallel portion at the constriction is .613 inches
    The bore is .620 inches

Standard 20 ga bore is .615 so it appears the barrel is back bored.

What do I have??

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Sounds like a skeet choke to me. How does it shoot?

The absolute best skeet choke I have found is a Beretta Special Skeet screw-in choke. I have a Beretta 391 Sport 20 gauge and the skeet choke that came with it breaks the targets more uniformly than any other choke I have tried including a Briley Spectrum skeet choke. It just destroys the target. Breaks it into many pieces. It will smoke the target only on the very close ones (low house on station 1 and high house on station 7). I have measured the choke and it appears to be a Tula type choke.

Jim Skeel

3. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I have not patterned the gun yet but I have averaged 96% on the skeet range out of 125 targets. Breaks were nice as you described in your post.

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I think the Russians did a great job when they developed the Tula choke.

Jim Skeel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.