1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke Profiles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by racer, Dec 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. racer

racer TS Member

Anyone have any drawings or charts of choke profiles? I would sure like to see a side view of a Bowen or similiar high end gun and maybe a few from some of the barrel guru's.

Since there appears to be lots of bored shooters here, maybe we could get a file of choke profiles and decide which is best?

I think if everyone marked their bore guage the same and wrote down the constriction every 1/16th or 1/8 the results would be comparable...? Dan

2. racer

racer TS Member

Every one "knows" the choke constriction of their gun but what about the profile. Does it go from say .740 to .700 in half an inch? Two inches? That's what I'm looking for. Any ideas? Thanks, Dan

3. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Was hoping some one would answer this one too. i'm sure some one like Denis D. could possibly answer for us or that Neil might be able to measure for us. How about we get Briley and some of the other choke tube mfgr's to show us what they do, unless it's a trade secret they dont want to let out

Bob

4. racer

racer TS Member

Interesting info on the card barrel chokes. I have the idea in my head that the screw in choke guns don't have enough constant bore diameter after the constriction. I may be all wrong but that is what appears to be differant from a well patterning gun and one that is so-so. Dan

5. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Wouldn't a removable choke be subject to stretching where it is unsupported by the bbl? Their patters would be more open no?

How about extended chokes? wouldnt they be stiffer due to the external ring?

I would suspect that a fixed choke would beat them all for patterning density.

Any thoughts?

thanks

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I love these kind of posts . Why would a GOOD choke tube be unsupported by the barrel ? Why would a fixed choke be any different then a tube ?

7. racer

racer TS Member

I would sure like to see the profile of a Bowen advertised at 90%. My XT is good for 83-84% with .035 constriction, My M12 is 87% @ .033 All interesting,Dan

8. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

racer my Bowen had a very hot core at .035 choke . It hit singles very hard and handicap juat about as hard . It was not hard to shoot singles with but you had to pay attention .

9. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I have a 3200 unsingle, don't know who did the barrel. Choke is 4 to 5" long, a taper of a few inches to 40 constriction, then the last 1 1/2 to 2" is parallel. Smokes targets, though I've not shot it for a few years. Have to dig it one of these days. Shoot well and often while we can. Bob

10. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Because there has to be clearance between the tube and bbl to get it out.

The fixed choke is solid metal and can't stretch.

Yes they do stretch and deform in firing.

So simple question, are fixed chokes better patterning?

Are extended chokes stiffer (and hence pattern tighter) than flush?

11. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I measured the bore and choke tubes of a Ljutic that a friend recently purchased new and was surprised that the choke tubes went to the marked constriction for a parallel section and then opened back up in the extended portion to nearly bore diameter.

12. Smoke Pole

Smoke Pole TS Member

I have an old Winchester 37A that was sold as a "goose gun" with a 36" barrel back in the early '70s. I can't measure the length of the constriction, but the last 2" of the barrel is a straight tube.

I'm not sure it makes any difference. I have a Browning Citori that patterns just as tight with the dinky little invector full choke. I don't have any trouble hitting clays from the 27 yard line.

13. racer

racer TS Member

Mr. Winston- got anything in chart format? Thanks,Dan

14. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Marcello Giuliani has asked me to post the following regarding chokes. Marcello and I have had great discussions about chokes and that most Americans do not fully understand the "styles" of chokes. We tend to rather be more concerned about restriction numbers.

Here's what Marcello has to say on this: NOTE - "0" is the muzzle, bead end, of the barrel.

"Finally somebody asks how the profile of the choke is made because it is not only important the restriction but how you get to it also.

As you can see on the charts there are different type of profile (these are the most important ones).

The distance from 0 to 1 and 1 to 2 is different depending of what kind of steel the barrel is made and naturally for what the gun was design to do. A type "A" choke on 66 cm barrel react differently than the same choke on 76 cm barrell.

A too short distance between 1 and 2 is negative because not only makes the gun kick more, but it creates a compression on the lead that will deform the spherical shape of the pellets."

[​IMG]

Hope this helps shed some light on the subject.

Whiz

15. Bob Hawkes

Whiz,

Isn't the ARC choke that you have shown the most typical seen today? Thanks, Bob

16. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Actually, Marcello and I just got off the phone, and I mentioned this to him.

During the call, we, Marcello and I, are of the opinion that the most popular is the "Standard" choke. The ARC chokes are found more on guns of lesser quality, and I can't even mention one. The ARC choke can also be found on guns where the barrel end was cut off and a "rolled" end was done to give it some sort of restriction.

Marcello reminded me that CHOKES are an American invention of 1875 circa. Now that was a bit of history I found interesting. We Americans invent something, and then some foreign country makes it better... kinda like the Japanese with cars.

I can still remember as a kid growing up in California, where my Japanese made toy cars were refashioned beer cans with all the bent-over tabs. I used to really upset my father because every time I got something mechanical and new, I would tear it apart and then, hopefully, reassemble it. Probably was why I like doing mechanical things today... and never afraid to tackle something.

Oh, Marcello also reminded me that the distances between 1- 2 are important: too short a distance and the shot is deformed greater than in a longer tapering (like a forcing cone effect). A skeet-type of choke, but in a greater restriction would be the best for patterns.

Whiz

17. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Whiz, did Mr. Marcello explain how that too-short-taper choke increases recoil? Shouldn't the shot "run into it" and so pull the barrel forward and so _reduce_ the recoil?

Neil

18. Bob Hawkes

Neil,LOL, I didn't dare say it, but that was my thought also. Now, what does the Italian think of the chokes by Al Ljutic, multiple steps, so to speak? They sure do work. Bob

19. racer

racer TS Member

Very interesting info for me, Thankyou. Dan

20. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Herb Orre made a choke somewhat similar to the TULA but with a bell at the muzzle opening. There was a guy in Worthington Ohio who choked shotguns I forget his name as he choked a gun for me in the 70s, it worked very well.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

barrel choke

choke patterns

marocchi a20