1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke Problems

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by willing, Apr 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willing

willing Member

Yesterday I was cleaning my O/U barrel and I looked down the barrel from the breech end and could see a streak just past the porting in both barrels. When I turned it around I could see that it was fouling in the choke tubes(both). It was directly in line with the ports. I shoot the unsingle barrel much, much more and can find no trace of this. The chokes are Briley, flush in the O/U and exended in the unsingle. Have any of you experienced anything similar? I am using the same reloads in both barrels. Claydot , 1 1/8 magnum, Downrange XL 1 1/8 wads. Comments(useful) please.

Bill

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Sounds like the porting is roughing up the wad surface. Then it gets rubbed off in the choke tube. Check to see if the fouling is plastic from the wad. HMB

3. 1Gold

1Gold TS Member

FWIW, I also shoot Briley extended chokes, and I've had the horizontal striping in my chokes since they were new (two years). This happens in both the ported and non-ported barrels that I shoot. My chokes are the Spectrum stainless models, one with porting and one without. Mine show the stripes around the entire circumference.

I've always just discounted it to the added pressure of pellets being constricted within the choke tube? Anyway, I don't see it as a problem either in the quality of breaks, or at the pattern board? More coincidence, I'm also shooting the Downrange wads, but it happened even when I was shooting Green Dusters.

IMO
    JBear

4. willing

willing Member

Thanks guys. I'm going to check the inside of the porting.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.