1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke patterns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Franktri, Sep 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franktri

Franktri Member

Can anyone confirm or deny this: Full choke vs Improved Modified... Pattern diameter is the same but density pattern is different.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Thats the general principle.

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

To answer your question. Yes, as long as its the same size shot and velocity, out of the same gun, at the same distance. But........ only for those two choke constrictions. A modified and IC choke will give the same results, only a larger diameter pattern. And a skeet choke and a cylinder choke produce a 4 foot diameter pattern, with the skeet choke putting more pellets in a 30" circle. All these shots were done at 35 yards. If you want to see patterns I'll post them.

Wayne

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Check the link above for some interesting reading on chokes.

5. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

The big difference is pattern quality in terms of decreased hole count. Of course it depends on what IM is defined as.

The above web page shows what happens as the choke is opened up from full. Scroll half-way down the page for these pattern runs.

- - Bill

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Wayne, it would be interesting to see all of your 35 yard patterns! Might be a new learning experience for a lot of guys here on TS. Thanks guy!!

Hap

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Franktri, there is no accurate answer to your question. I used to do an incredible amount of patterning at 40 yards. I'd draw concentric circles of 10.6", 15", 21.2" and 30" around the center of the pattern. You can only count on the inner 21.2" to consistently break targets. Anything outside of a 24" circle is a flyer as far as I'm concerned. You could get lucky, but don't count on it.

A good full choke will put more pellets inside all of these circles, on average, than a good IM choke will, to the tune of between 3% and 8%.

I once wasted a boat load of paper taping huge pattern sheets together in an attempt to catch all the pellets. I did, but it turned out to be a waste of time. For tight chokes, once you get past 24" there is no rhyme nor reason for the pellet distribution. It isn't orderly. They are just random strikes. Once you get outside the 30" circle, the pellets are far enough apart you could fit a whole case of targets between them.

8. 1ozreloader

1ozreloader TS Member

Wayne, it would be great to see those patterns. It might just help clearing a lot of misconceptions people have about chokes.

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I put in a Wright #8 choke in my p gun. Replacing another .034 choke. Ran 25 from 27 using silver bullet 7 1/2 reloads. That's how I prefer to test chokes now.

Jim c

10. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Thanks, Quack, good info. Have been using modified for trap, skeet, 5 stand and sporting, and doves now for about 3 mos. (death on the doves) just because it worked so well and I didn't want to be changing chokes all the time out of a 391. Now comes this article, a good one.

11. Duck

Duck Member

BunkerGuy + Quack Shot,

Thank You both!, very good reading!.

12. team henges

team henges TS Member

I shoot a light full for trap

brendan

13. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

The only test that matters is how the choke breaks targets. The letters M,IM,LF,F or XF are nothing more than a starting point because they mean different things to different tubes. Shoot the tube that you score best with and let others worry about the details. Shoot as tight as you can and still break good scores.

Remember there are shooters and there are testers, seldom are they the same person. Neil would be the exception.

Don

14. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I have never understood how changing a choke tube could possibly change the density of a pattern without increasing the outside perimeter of the pattern at the same time. It seems to me that changing from full to modified choke must open the pattern by increasing the size of the pattern, thus the term, "more open". I am not an engineer or physicist, but I just can't understand how a different choke can move shot from the center core to the perimeter without increasing the entire pattern, all else remaining the same.
    Martinpicker,(Jack Farrow)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best choke pattern for trap

choke patterns

cylinder choke patterns

skeet choke patterns