1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke options for Superposed Broadway Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Golani, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Golani

Golani TS Member

I have a 1968 Superposed Broadway Trap that hasn't been shot in years. It has fixed full and improved modified chokes measuring .040 and .030 respectively. I have another Broadway I use for Trap so, the question is, should I have the chokes opened up to shoot sporting or skeet with this gun?
    If I was to make it a sporting gun I'd have the barrels both at about .015. If I used it for skeet I'd go to cylinder. Is there enough metal in those barrels to open them up all the way?
    If you have experience with this please let me know.
    Thank you!!

2. Crunch

Crunch Member

I sent my Browning Superposed to Briley's to have choke tubes installed. They called me and said the web between barrels was very thin. They could do the choke tubes but it would change POI, especially near 40 yards. The top barrel would shoot higher and the bottom barrel lower. I chose not to have it done because I need the gun to shoot higher not lower in both barrels.

3. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

One of my Broadways has Briley choke tubes and it shoots 50/50 with both barrels. With the adjustable comb, I can have it shoot as high as I wish. YRMV Ron

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I had Briley put thinwalls in my S5 30" BROADWay Trap 10+ years ago... same config as yours, no problems. I chose cylinder, 2 Skeet, IC and Mod. I use it for Sporting, Skeet and on occasion some upland hunting.

Made the gun so much more versatile and I use it much more than I would have otherwise... If you like the gun and want the ability to shoot it more often - do it!

Jay

5. hose 'em down

hose 'em down Active Member

Golani,.......leave it alone IMHO. I put Brileys in my 32" F/F Broadway S7 Pigeon and became careless with my pointing when shooting sporting, thinking the more open chokes would compensate for my sloppiness. Not so. I scored better and had confidence in the F/F chokes. Yep, over choked but knew when I missed and why. I've P and K guns but my Broadway is the " go to animal". I prefer to shoot tighter chokes than all my cronies. I DON'T change chokes.

Shoot your over choked Broadway at skeet and sporting. It will make you a very good shotgun pointer and once you feel the tighter chokes are causing you lost targets vs. your own execution, then reconsider this question.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Ernie .....in AZ.

6. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I just checked my Broadway. This one is a '67 model and the 30" barrels are really thin where they join at the muzzle. It could be that Briley had a bad experience after Spitter and I had ours done and they don't want to take chances. Possibly it is a case-by-case decision. Mine turned out so well that I would certainly give them a call and ask. This one also has Ruck's Bump Buster recoil unit and a full set of Briley tubes so it is truly an all-purpose shooter. Ron

7. Golani

Golani TS Member

Thanks for the messages. I know three people who have gone the Briley thin wall route. One of the three is happy with the outcome.

I was really thinking of going from fixed chokes to more open fixed chokes. Anyone have experience with going that route?

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Why not have the chokes opened up ....maybe, .015 and .025. or, .018-.030

9. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

You could always use the different spreader/post wads out there for shooting at things close.
    Leave the chokes alone.....

10. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

If you're just going to ruin a nice Broadway, send it to me!

Ken Rucker

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I made the stupid decision to have my Superposed ST-100 Magna-Ported when I bought it in 1980. But now I wouldn't let anybody work on my barrels. They are perfect just the way they are.

Ron Burr

12. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

I bought the ST-100 that was for sale here 3 weeks ago . It is a target destroying machine!! The barrels will remain as they came from the factory!

Ken Rucker

13. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

you lucky dog, Ruck....I know exactly how they murder targets....best doubles gun extant///JMHO...but I'm biased...

Ron Burr

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

If that was mine, I'd keep it all original and buy another already "fixed????"

HAP

15. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Amen, Hap!!!

Ken

Search tags for this page
briley choke tubes superposed pheasant
browning superpose choke select improved or modify
browning superposed with briley thin wall chokes
browning superposed with thin-wall briley chokes
browning thin wall chokes in browning 30 inch barrel
superposed briley