1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke measurements?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mr. 391, Jul 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. 391

Mr. 391 TS Member

Have a K-80 combo 34/32 - The unsingle bore is .740 and the fixed choke is .705
    The O/U bore Top & Bottom is .739 and the top choke is .712 and the bottom choke is .724 - also fixed chokes
    Would just like to know how these measurements compare to other guns. I've been told that the unsingle is way to tight for singles and short yardage hdcp.

Thanks in advance for your comments

2. hairy

hairy TS Member

Your barrels measure just exactly what Wilkerson would recommend for most shooters. They are perfect.

3. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

FWIW, I agree completely: they're perfect.

4. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Mr. 391, be very careful - you are on the verge of filling your head with things that don't matter. If it gets into your head that 35 thousands is too tight for singles, you are not helping your score. What really matters is POI. For trap, you want a gun that shoots straight and high. My old gun was fixed .035 choke and that is not my excuse for being a crummy shooter. My current gun has tubes and the one I am using is marked .025 but the reason I am using it is because that is the one that was installed when I picked up the gun.

Prove something to yourself. Shoot a round of singles with the bottom barrel of your O/U. Was it easier to break 'em all with .015?

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Gary-sounds like the choke Dennis left in the gun, my buddy has the same in his new gun---it incinerates targets from the 16 with 7/8 oz

Lou

6. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

740 - 705 = 035 = Full choke (current standard)

739 - 712 = 027 = tight Improved Mod = 025

739 - 724 = 015 = Light Mod

Run a test; using the Full choke, IM and LM barrels for singles and even your handicap yardage. Just remember that you must concentrate harder when using the full choke, because of the smaller pattern. Then decide what you need to use for each event.

Jason

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Don't run a test unless you are serious; they mislead as much as they lead unless you do it right. And since you'd be making a big mistake if you changed anything, maybe just shooting them is a better investment of your time and shells. Don't, I repeat _don't_ listen to anyone who says it's "way to tight for singles and short yardage hdcp" since that person does not know what he or she is talking about.

Neil

8. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

After shooting a choke of .025 for six months and then going to a choke of .034 and shooting it for about four months the .034 choke got me one more target in 200 . But with the .034 choke I know when I,m centerd and love the smoke . This is Trap and we use Full choke .

ALF

9. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

there are only two chokes, open or choked, all in between are conversation.

10. digger1dog

digger1dog Member

Are these barrels for sale? The single is just what I am looking for.

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Sounds about right. Don't fool with them, just BOIL targets!

For your Unsingle, there is no confidence builder like turning a solid into a vapor!

Your Doubles barrel is set up to do the same thing.

BTW, in my Combo, I use a 40 point choke in the Unsingle, and two 35's in the Doubles barrel. My Bunker gun has two 40's in it.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em! (thumbs up)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.