1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

choke lube

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dhip, Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhip

dhip Active Member

I Know,been covered and I did check threads.While looking for some litjium grease I thought I had,being it was recommended by several,I ran across a bottle of Moly Kote Z Powder by Dow corning.Yes it's a lubricating powder,reccomened for either Hot or cold temps.Also it say's you can put it in solvent and paint it on whatever your using it for.One thing it states is,it's for high pressure also,and use in bearings.I'm tempted to use it for my choke tubes and was wondering if anyone else had heard about this stuff.Believe I got it at a auction,cause I don't remember buying it or if it's even still made.

Doug H.

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

...and when the solvent evaporates you'll be left with powder caked in the threads.

Just buy a small tube of Super Lube or anti-seize at the hardware store.

MK

3. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Anti-seize.

Cheaper and one container will last you forever.

Same as lithium grease for your trunions on O/U.

Same as brake cleaner for your choke tubes and chambers.

Buy it at Pep boyz and same a few bucks.

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Careful with anti-seize. I used to use it all the time until it started caking up on me.

Now I use just use oil and take them out regularly and clean the threads.

5. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

Breakfree works for me.

tom

6. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Choke tubes should be greased heavily with a high grade grease. It does a couple of things when applied liberally. It helps create a seal if the tube works loose a little and it also will keep a tube from siezing up in the gun. Oil when hot will produce moisture which in turn will sieze a choke in a gun after shooting. Oil will create more problems on chokes then it eliminates.

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I have never used that product, but I have used powdered graphite and powdered motor mica as a dry lubricant. Both of those work for threaded applications also. I always keep a small tube of lubriplate in my gun case, so it is handy to use with chokes. I don't think it matters that much. Keep the threads wiped clean with a rag about 3 or 4 times a year and a little grease on the chokes when you put them together works great. If you take your gun duck hunting and drop it it the water, you need a lot more upkeep.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

BAD 303- You stated "oil will produce moisture when it gets hot"? How can this happen?

I take my choke tube out and clean it about once every two years. After cleaning I put a light coat of whatever grease is on my bench and screw it back in. I no longer check to see if the tube has remained tight in the barrel between my two year cleanings.

Pat Ireland

9. Unknown1

<blockquote>"Choke tubes should be greased heavily with a high grade grease. It does a couple of things when applied liberally. It helps create a seal if the tube works loose a little and it also will keep a tube from siezing up in the gun. Oil when hot will produce moisture which in turn will sieze a choke in a gun after shooting. Oil will create more problems on chokes then it eliminates"</blockquote>

Petroleum grease is nothing more than oil in a carrier. When it gets hot the carrier liquefies and the oil lubricates. Grease will oxidize at the same temperature as oil... about 375º F. Depending on it to provide a seal against high temp pressurized gas is a bit naive. Anti-seize compounds will withstand temps of about 2000ºFfor copper-based and 2400ºF for nickel-based. If the choke tube leaks, the gun needs attention, not a sealer.

MK

10. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

--Another vote for Break Free.. I tried several kinds of choke tube grease and had problems with it caking up. Had one tube freeze in barrel and had to send to T W to have it removed..Expensive....SMOKIT

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Permatex make a anti-seize (silver) lube, in a tube. Costs about two bucks at any auto parts store. One tube last about 20 years. I still have my first one and I must have bought it about 1990 or so. Choke tubes will never stick when using this anti-seize.

12. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

Don't see the point of creating some witches' brew for this application. Whatever lubricant is used for other applications on the gun. Removal and cleaning is way more important than molysynteflonicpermatex1.

13. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"I can't believe anyone would put up with the mess that anti-seize makes in this application."</I></blockquote>

Anti-seize makes a mess only if you are sloppy or over-apply it. This is not a case of "If some is good, more is better and too much is just right!" Its purpose is to separate dissimilar metals to prevent reaction between them. Trying to fill the entire void between parts accomplishes nothing that a very thin smear won't also do.

Applying a 1/4" wide band of anti-seize in to the lead threads of the choke is quite enough as the product will be spread along the threaded area as the tube is tightened. Copper-based anti-seize are quite adeguate for this application. A product like Fluid Film or Corrosion-X applied to outside of the tube barrel to prevent moisture damage is also a good idea.

In any case, using lubricant on a choke tube is not a substitute for regularly removing the tube to clean and inspect it and re-apply lube.

MK

14. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

WD-40.

15. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Just use the same lube you use on the rest of your gun. Take them out when you clean your gun, wipe them down, relube and put them back in....takes all of 2 minutes. I have never had one even close to sticking doing this simple maintenance...knock on wood

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

MK- Thanks again for sharing your lubrication knowledge with us. It is clear that you are well informed.

Pat Ireland

17. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

CMD gun lube purchased from a fellow on this site, very good product.

Pete

18. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

This can of anti-seize will out last me, my son, and grandson. A Millwright gave me this 20 years ago. Use sparingly on the threads, locks the chokes in, stops galvanic reaction, and the chokes are easily removed.

Wayne

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

should choke tubes be oiled or greased

choke lube

choke tube lubricant reviews