1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

***CHOKE IDENTIFICATION***

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bvr Tail, Jan 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I have searched all of my books, and papers, but I cannot find information on the markings on a barrel to indicate how it is choked.

The gun is an old browning auto, serial no.in the 35000 range, 26in. barrel with numbers matching the receiver, solid rib, and the only readable markings are:

A circle with a "X", or cross, inside, and beside that, is D S S

There are other markings on the bottom of the barrel that are covered by the forend, but I cannot make them out.

Any help?

Danny

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Right by were it says "Special Steel 12 gauge 2-3/4 inch" there should be an:

* is full

*- IM

** MOD

**$ Skeet

Can't remember the others. They can be hard to see if the barrel has been buffed out and re-blued.

Wayne

3. Bvr Tail

I am familiar with those markings, as my other Brownings have them, but none on this barrel like that.

As I said, this is an old gun, and maybe they didn't mark them the same back then.

Thanks Wayne

4. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

zI don't care what it says, you don't know until you measure it.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

pictures would be nice

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

As far as I know FN and Remington used the Asterisk (*) for choke identification on all the Browning A-5's. And Browning continued that ID with their shotguns until tubes came out.

Wayne

7. Bvr Tail

Wayne

You may well be right, because I looked again, and after using a magnifying glass, and more cleaning, I can make out a single star asterisk right before the SPECIAL STEEL-12GAUGE-SHELLS-2 3/4".

is a 26 in. full choke barrel rare?

Danny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.