1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke for pheasant hunting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by richrob, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrob

richrob TS Member

What is everybodys opinion for pheasant chokes in an over under?

I used to hunt with a remington choked mod, 1 oz of 6 early, 1 1/4 5 late, but have upgraded to a browning over under.

Im thinking improved and modified, but have considered modified and full. -Rich

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"With pointing dogs IC and ImpMod, with flushing dogs Mod and ExFull, no dogs IC and Full" and if hunting cornfields and late season roosters, full and extra full won't hurt ya a lick either. Hap

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I use a 20b with 7/8 or 15/16 oz nickel plated #7 shot. LightSkeet .003 and LightMod .012 over pointers; LightMod and ImpMod .018 over flushers. When the birds are getting up at 40 yards I use, and Mod .015 and Full .024 and 1 1/8oz #6 grex buffered Copper Plated hard shot (Winchester Supreme).

4. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Improved Modified. What is the gun guage and load?

5. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Full is better than open. You can strafe a close shot and still have choke for a long shot. Tight chokes prevent runners after the shot. Late in the season, the tighter the better.

6. cole-mitchell

cole-mitchell TS Member

This past weekend I was ruining meat with an improved cylinder, but keep in mind these were released birds that were stupid enough to flush by my feet

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Over dogs I shoot a strange load that I learned from an aaa27aa trapshooter when I was 15 years old. 1 OZ of copper #2 shot over dogs. They come down dead withjfrom 2 to 5 holes in them that go clear through the bird. Why anybody shoots these birds with 7 1/2's is beyond me. Just what I want is a bird with 60 holes in it. I prefer I.C over dogs and as soon as they get wise and start running and jumping at 35 yards I go to a full choke with either 1 1/4 Of copper #4's or 1 1/2 of copper #4's. Jeff

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Jeff,

Why copper? From what I've learned, copper just means "copper washed chilled shot" which is no better than plain old regular chilled shot.

Am I misinformed?

I use 1-1/4 ounce of 5's at about 1300 ft/sec.

IC/Mod early, and Mod/full late.

Sometimes I use my 16 gauge which has a fixed modified choke. 1 ounce of 6's in a Remington Game Load shell works fine.

9. SD duck

SD duck TS Member

I aggree with Jeff this time. There is just no good use for 7.5 shot on pheasants. However, to get 5 #2 from a 1oz load into a pheasant body, it would have to be a super choke and/or a close bird. If I have to use an ounce then it's #6, 1 1/8oz then 5's, 1 1/4 then #4. The more the choke the heavier the shot too. Best not to "underkill" a pheasant.

10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

sdduck, if you get true pointed birds try the load out. I have used it for over 20 years with great results. My advice for an open choke over dogs is general advice. I use a modified choke with the copper #2 load.

timb99, You are correct in that some companys do coat soft shot with copper and it is a poor combination. In order to put more pellets in the pattern you need to coat shot that is already high antimony such as Hornady Magnum ( West Coast) or Lawrence magnum, or Winchester Luballoy. For what little I shoot the birds anymore I tend to just use old factory loaded Federal Premiums and Winchester Super double XX magnums that I have left over from years ago. Try the #2 load sometime you are dog training or shoting planted birds. Wild birds it only gets used for the first two weeks of the season. At the end of the day I pick"MY BIRDS" out of the bird pile and leave the birds shot with 6's and 7 1/2's to the guys who shot them. I like to eat roosters and no pellets in the meat is nice. Jeff

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Remember, in roosterville, "speed kills" is the best medicine. Especially for WILD flushing speedsters gittin outa dodge when the truck door shuts. Pen raised fall well to 1-1/8 ounce of good copper 5s, 1-1/2 for the wild cornfield varity, 1300 FPS hammers them good quite a ways out. Hap

12. richrob

richrob TS Member

Wow, this thread really turned into what load for pheasant hunting, still a lot of good info. -Rich

13. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Sarge, if you reload you can buy the same shot used in Fiocchi nickel plated loads at ballistics Specialties, or at Cabelas (more expensive) Nickel plating is the absolute best at reducing feather draw. Nickel #7 shot @ 1150 to 1200fps will drop a rooster anywhere out to 35-40 yards. Most of the shot penetrates into the body cavity and is removed with the guts. If you made a tail shot, you'll find some in the thighs, but virtually no feathers.

The Fiocchi nickel shot is only 2% antimony (chilled) so don't expect terrific patterning. I know that I was most disappointed in that respect, but I love the deep penetration and lack of feather draw. The best nickel shot I can buy comes loaded in B&P's F2 and Classic 20b shells. It's slightly higher than 3% antimony.

The only copper shot worth using is Winchester Lubaloy. It's target shot hard and has a good coating of copper. It draws way less than plain lead, but more than nickel. Lawrence copper plated (slightly washed) shot is hard, but coated with wax. It draws feathers just as badly as plain lead does.

14. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I use a gun with a super extra extra full special turkey card choke 90% and then just head shoot them suckers there by saving the meat.

15. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Nickel is ok but the shot is so poor that I can hardly see a reason to use it. As far as feather draw goes I couldn't care less. I eat boneless thighs and boneless breast. Jeff

16. duckhunter331

duckhunter331 TS Member

I have been only been hunting pheasants for about 6 years, but all I use is 1 1/4 of #4 opening weekend, and for the late season hunt 1 1/4 of #5. The shells are the reguler game loads or I also use some of the federal shells going 1400 fps. 3 inch of #2 steel in Kent Fasteel going 1550 FPS really drops them out there. I use an 870 with a Rem Choke Mod for everything.

Travis

17. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I was quail hunting once in GA when I shot a quail flushing over a pointer it got up fast and got pretty far away for a IC choked 20 GA gun but it did drop on the second shot. When the dog brought it back the handler picked it up and said that it only had one hit right in the eye.

My reply was well of course silly thats were I was aiming!!

When in doubt bluff

18. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

To the original question: mod and full. Don't give them the least chance to run, crippled, and hide. Miss clean or kill clean............

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best choke for pheasants using 5 shot no dogs

best chokes for pheasant hnting

best chokes for pheasant hunting

choke for pheasant hunting

chokes for pheasant hunting

pheasant hunt choke

pheasant improved cylinder or modified

what choke for pheasant hunting