Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Choke for Handicap 20

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  hoggy 
#1 ·
My first time shooting handicap. I shoot Remington Classic Traps (870/1100). I took out the singles choke and put in the mid-range handicaps choke. Should I have just left the singles choke in? My singles score for the day was 72 and my handicap score was 60, so, relative to the fact that I'm a bad shot anyway, would the singles choke still break them from the 20?

#2 ·
Yes it will depending on what your singles choke is. Personally I shoot a full choke from all yardage. If your shooting skills are not quite there yet, you will notice your handicap scores being lower as there is less room for error the farther you move back.

Also, you may have to adjust your hold on the house a bit for the speed you shoot etc. There are a lot of variable that can and do come into play. Mike

#3 ·
Colonel Reb- I would suggest that you screw either your full or improved modified choke and then forget about changing tubes for at least two years. Think about mounting your gun by bringing the gun up to your head and not bringing your head down to the gun. Think about keeping your head firmly on the gun as you see the target. Think about breaking the next target out of the house. Put all of your choke tubes, except the one you use in a drawer and do not take them to a shoot. Wipe the spare tubes down with a light oil once every two years.

Pat Ireland

#4 ·
I'd go one step further than what Pat suggests. I'd take your full, improved mod and mod chokes to the pattern board and see which patterns best at 40 yards than follow Pat's advice to the letter except screw the choke you choose into the barrel and lock away the rest. There can be a huge variance between guns and chokes. My modified choke in my Beretta's as tight as my buddies Full choke is in his XT Trap. I use mod back to the 23-24 yrd line before changing.

#7 ·
According to Rem, the restiction on the singles choke should be .027, which would be in between Improved Mod and Light Full. That should work fine at the 16 and the 20. I wouldn't put the Mid Handicap (.034, which would be Full) in before reaching the 23 or 24. From there, it should break birds fine all the way back to the 27.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.