1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke for Doubles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by John Browning, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

I have been shooting a 3200 with 32" barrels for about 5 years now. I remember buying it, putting a ajustable stock on it and going out and shooting a 95.I remeber shooting some good scores then I decided to impove it and had the barrels taken out from im/full to .012 and.023. I haven't really improved much and I'm thinking about sending it to Briely for choketubes so I can play around with tighter chokes. Phil Kiner was kind enough to write in T@F what the AAs shoot, but I would be interested to know what the average A or AA uses for chokes. I use 1oz first shot and 1.125 for second. I am going out on a limb here and ask you to include you ATA #. John #8703697

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Message deleted as John didn't find it meaningful.

ss

3. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

I guess I should of put the last sentence first. I'm trying to get meanful input here and without knowing your skill level I don't think I stand a chance. John ATA# 8703697

4. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

3200s have notoriously thin barrel walls ... You may not be able to put choke tubes in that barrel, especially since you have taken some of the meat out of them already. Bill Malcolm

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

John,

Sorry you don't find my post meaningful. I'll delete it so you won't have to view it any further.

ss

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

John.... Just a thought, but, why don't you call Phil Kiner and ask him directly? I have found him to be a wealth of knowledge and always ready to share his experience with anyone that asks. If it's good enough for Phil, I would think it's good enough for you as well. FWIW, in Leo Harrisons new DVD, he says he shoots .020"/.030" for his doubles. If you do enough research on the subject on these past threads you will see a definate pattern as to what the majority shoot for doubles... Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

I find with every thing new it takes time to get it right. I did want the imput but, I was also trying to make posters more accountable and not posting stuff just because they heard it somewhere. I would think it would be easier for new shooters to learn if they knew were the advice was coming from.I'm sure I offended every one but, with out a reference for all I know your just shoveling sh-- SS. I would have gotten back sooner but, I had to go through Leo's Video and as I thought his o/u is choked .017 and .037. John

8. racer

racer TS Member

FWIW.... I shoot a .020 and .030, class A sometimes AA if I shoot lots- Dan

9. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

You know, John, you may be right. Shoot....... Now I'm going to have to watch it again to find out for sure. Dang!!!....lol... Dan

10. shoot for ever

shoot for ever Member

AA27AA i shoot .020 and .030 bracks them good in the wind also. shooting alot in wy co nb sd. but i say find what works for you and do that.

11. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Last year for the first time I had a new gun inwhich I could change the chokes. Didn't get to shoot much and I was playing with .016 and .028 mostly. I had the lowest doubles average in awhile. THe three guns prior to (since 87 I believe) have all been from .022 to .026 on the bottom and from .032 to .038 on top.
    ATA# 2023390

12. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

Thank you Pheasantmaster, that is the imput I was looking for and new shooters can look up your ATA # and see you know what you're talking about. John

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I shoot a Remington 3200 for doubles. It is choked .008 and .025. I trap the first bird about 6 yards out of the house with 1 oz of 9s. I shoot the second bird with 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2s or 8s. My 2011 average card says 96 for doubles, so I must be doing something right. HMB

14. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

021 and .31...which might be a bit tight for a rookie like me...but, I'm AA in 28g skeet and shoot those with IC's, so I think I'm set up for the long haul.

soot-balling builds confindence.

15. dverna

dverna Active Member

John

You need to ignore some of the comments. Your request was not insulting[ it was reasonable. Does anyone care what a D shooter uses?

I think you are correct about the chokes Leo uses. He uses 1 oz of 8's for the first shot and 1 1/8 of 7 1/2's? (cannot remember) for the second. The .037" barrel is used for singles too.

Bear in mind that Leo is one of the best in the world and most of us may be better off with less constriction as we cannot point as accurately and/or reliably. Speed (how close you take the targets) may also affect choke selection.

Don Verna

16. RoadKingPerazzi

RoadKingPerazzi Member

My DB-81 choked by Tom Seitz for doubles at .020 & .030.

17. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

i have nothing to offer about proper chokes for doubles as I myself am asking the same question.

But Briley was able to put screw-in chokes in a Remington 3200 for me which had been modified by a prior owner.

18. fly

fly Active Member

Wouldn't you need to choke your gun based on how fast or slow you are at shooting the targets? EXAMPLE: An average shooter vs. let's say Kaye Ohye.

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

That would be the smart thing to do. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best choke for ata doubles

for shooting doubles oout of trap house what is the best choke