1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CHOKE .. for a 20 Gauge Question..

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I will reply on this one, I recently bought a chambermate gauge reducer 12 to 20 g. Used a Improved modiefied 12g choke. Shooting remington shurshot and hevidove 1oz 7.5s 20gauge. patterned very well, crushed the targets. As with all guns chokes you really should spend sometime on the pattern board checking all the chokes you have. I did this with my XT and found 2 chokes that came with the gun to be bad. One changed POI the other just did not get the pellets on target, later after buying a caliper and measureing it found it to be cyl not IM as it was labelled. As of now I have briley Spectrum IM in the lower and Browning factory full up top. Might shoot 20g today....

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Hey Jerry,

Singles: IM and 7/8oz of 8.5's

'Caps : Full and use 7/8oz of 8's or 7.5's

Stay away from 1oz loads in a 20ga. Way too much recoil!!!!

I suckered a couple of guys a few years back with my 20ga BPS. We were shooting from the 25yd line and we made a small wager about me shooting my 20ga against their 12's. They spotted me 2 targets. The squad was full and we all put $5 each in the hat. Winner took the loot. I preceeded to run 25 straight from the 25yd line. I was using 2 1/2 dram 7/8oz of 7.5's factory Federals. This from a 28" barreled BPS with a full choke tube.

ec90t

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Jerry, with good trap loads such as STS 7/8oz @ 1135fps, you need less constriction for the 20b for each application than you do for the 12b.

For example, I prefer IM (.025") in my 12b for singles and smoke.

The M (.018) in my 20b gives me the exact same thing. In fact, until very recently, my best ever doubles scores were shot with my 20b using LM (.012) bottom and M (.018) top. The top barrel didn't smoke second birds, because I was so slow. But it did break them into lots of tiny pieces, even when I hit them 3' above the ground.

4. LOWGUN

LOWGUN TS Member

My son shoots a 391 youth and uses the mod choke very well. He shoots Rem gun clubs. He is not a fast shooter and he still smokes them. Hope that helps some. Mike

5. Shoot-at-em

Shoot-at-em TS Member

I started my 13 year old daughter with a 20 gauge 1100 with a modified choke and a locked straight-a-way setting. Turned the trap back on oscilate still with the mod choke. Moved to the full choke 20 ga., then to my trusty 12 ga. 1100. We're both having a blast now!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
20 gauge choke tube for trap beginner
best choke for trap 20 gauge

best choke for trap shooting with a 20 gauge

choke for trap shooting with 20 ga
trap shooting 20 gauge
using a 20 gauge for trap shooting
what chock for trap 20 guage
what choke to use for trap 20 gauge