1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

choke for 5 stand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slayer, Jul 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

O.K. Here we go... I am moving from an area [mid michigan] that has a mainly trap fields locally, up north to an area that has more or less sporting clays and such. Love to shoot, so..like in Rome...anyway gonna do some of that other shootin'. Next week it's going to be "5 stand". I've done a little dickin' around with this sport but really don't know about it. I'm takin' the 390 with the trap barrel [32 in] and going to put a IM choke? Am I on the right track? I have a shorter bbl?? thanks Bill

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I think the barrel is fine but for chokes I use imp cyl 90% of the time and mod the rest. Rarely have I seen the need for any tighter choke. Jackie B.

3. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Ditto on what Jack said, or a U2 if you have one. Would go with the 30" barrel as some 5 stands have some pretty quick rabbits or quick outgoing quartering targets and or, a rapidly falling second target on a true pair that you almost have to spot shoot to get it before it hits the ground.

4. potatodigger1

potatodigger1 Member

i suppose each field is a little different, but around me the guys with autos use skeet or imp cyl. i guess it could depend on what loads you use and other variables also, but the o/u guys use skeet and light mod most of the time. what do i know, my son outshoots me with a 30" full choke 870tb!

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Part of the charm of 5 Stand is the variety of the target presentations. I change up ours every month. You must choose a choke and stick with for all 5 stations. IC or LM is the norm. Most presentations are closer rather than farther out. Have fun. Mark

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Same here, we change the presentation every week. Seldom will you need more than Light Mod (.015).

An IC (.010) would be a good start.

32" on an Auto is plenty long. A 28" or 30" would be best.
    Remember, a 26" barrel on an auto usally equals a 30" O/U in length.

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I agree with the above posters on a IC and a Light Mod. as the two most common chokes used in 5 stand and Sporting Clays, but I would also add a skeet choke in there for the closer shots on the Sporting Clay course where you have the time to change chokes between the stations if you like. Bottom Line is you need to figure out what choke at what distance works best with your load/and gun!!! You will not need a IM choke unless your shooting at a State or a large Reg. (NSCA) shoot. Now go out there and have some fun shooting at some different fling targets. break em all Jeff

8. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

My experiences at five stand reinforce what others have already stated here. I might add that shot size is also a consideration. There is some advantage to matching target to choke to shot size. For example, you would increase your odds of a dead bird on a close in target that you would shoot with a skeet choke by using #9 shot. #8 shot seems to pair up well with IC and light modified chokes, and modified and full choke targets seem to pair well with #7.5 shot.

However, as mentioned above, you must shoot five stand with one choke setup, whereas you can change chokes in sporting clays.

Of course, if you are as lazy as I have become, you shoot what's in the gun and hope for the best.

bluedsteel

9. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

#7.5s
    Full.
    Everything.

10. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

I shoot a good bit of 5 stand and use skeet chokes and 7-1/2 1-1/8oz shot @1200fps.
    Never wished for a tighter choke, although they say Guerini chokes are one tighter than listed. So my SK may be an IC.

11. gailmk67

gailmk67 Member

If you have a choice of 1 choke make it a LM. LM (IMO) is the perfect choke for 5 stand. Not too tight for the close targets and plenty tight enough for the farther more challenging presentations. My personal preference; LM bottom, IM top (both Comp N Chokes), 7/8oz 7 1/2 Federal International papers. Shells don't kick and I "ink spot" a lot of targets with that combination. Main thing is enjoy the game!

Regards, Joe

12. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

As a recovering trapshooter, I think you will be surprised how far away an IC or even a SK choke can break a 5 stand or SC target. I know it surpised me.

13. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I am surprised that no one has mentioned shooting modified and full. I find it is the perfect choke combination for all target presentations, near and far. Did I mention that I shoot M/F all the time because i have a fixed choke gun? I have choke tube gun also, and use LM and IM all the time. I am too lazy to change chokes. I find I do better worrying about targets rather than chokes.

"Chokes are in inches, misses are in feet"

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I use IC in my guns for 5-stand (actually ours is a 7-stand). Mod works well for some presentations but is too tight for very close ones.

One trick I've done is pocket a few quality premium shells with hard shot for longer targets, and use cheap soft promo loads for the rest. This is better than going to a light mod for everything. The pattern difference is fairly close to the difference between IC and LM.

As for shooting modified and full, once a year the local duck hunters rent the sporting clays range, and nearly everything they have is fixed full. They do pretty well but we don't give them very close presentations, because they're practicing for duck hunting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best choke for 5 stand

best choke for five stand
best chokes for 5 stand
choke five stand clay
chokes for 5 stand
chokes for five stand
five stand chokes
what choke to use for 5 stand