1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

choke for "00" or "000" buck shot???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BuddyMX2000RS, Nov 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuddyMX2000RS

BuddyMX2000RS TS Member

choke for

What choke size(ie. modified, full) do you have the best luck with when hunting deer with either "00" or "000" buck shot?

2. BuddyMX2000RS

BuddyMX2000RS TS Member

choke for

I also wanted to add that the buck shot will be fired through a Benelli Super Black Eagle 12 ga. not a Parazzi.

3. Straight99

Straight99 Member

choke for

I have the best luck with cylinder or improved cylinder in my 870 but you should pattern your shotgun and see what it will do.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

choke for

My Remmy 870P was spec'd for head shots with 8 pellet Buck. It has a long forcing cone, .735" bore, and although hand-stamped "IMP CYL", it has .015" (LM) choke, from Remington.

It performs as specified, shooting tight groups at 15 yards with buck, and with standard loads will boil a 16 yard Trap target. It does not do well with Slugs over about 35 yards.

Don't overestimate Buckshot. For decisive stops, it is pretty much out of gas at 30 yards.

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

choke for

Shooting coach that is the first thing you have ever posted that I disagree with. There isn't a man on earth that can take a load of 00 buck at 30 yards and survive. Then again that may be because they shoot it through open chokes. The theory that an open choke is best for big buck shot is one I have long disagreed with.

Here is a novel idea BuddyMX2000RS .... Why not waste a box of buck shot by patterning it at the longest yardage you plan to shoot with diffrent chokes?

I gave up on big buck shot for deer years ago. When I use buckshot I use #4 buck. It will drop a deer at 30 yards like a sack of hammers. Jeff

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

choke for

My best groups through the years has been through a mod. choke somewhere between .018 and .024. But as others stated, you should try some patterning for yourself rather than rely on others opinions/findings.

7. tjcutter

tjcutter TS Member

choke for

If you must use buckshot learn the limits of it and use you head. I butcher my own deer and I can't tell you how many buckshot I have found that only penetrated far enough to cause infection and meat spoilage.

8. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

choke for

Modified in my xtrema with remington "3 1/2 00 buck

9. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

choke for

I used to believe in full choke for that stuff but my guide friend shot a Browning autoloader and I think his was modified. I went back to a rifle but if I were to do the shotgun for deer again, I would actually go to a pattern board to answer the question.

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

choke for

The typical police shotgun has no choke. These guns will seldom make a definitive stop on an offender at ranges past 30 yards.

My shotgun was an overage from a special PD order. I still would not count on an authoritative stop past 30 yards.

Even a large bore handgun will seldom produce an immediate stop if head, heart or spine is not hit.

The scariest feeling one will ever have is center punching a knife wielding offender with a large bore sidearm and it showing no effect.

Wild game is generally harder to put down than the average offender, unless they are amped up on coke or crank.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
000 buckshot using imp cyl

best choke for 00 buck for deer

best choke for 00 buckshot
best choke for ooo buck shot
can i shoot 00 000 buck in a full or modified choke
choke for benelli sb eagle ii with 00 buck shot

lm choke for buckshot

tristar shotguns with improved choke and shooting 00 buckshots