1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke diameters and pattern discrepencies ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Mar 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Seems like a common conversation among trap shooters is having a choke, frequently a custom or aftermarket choke, which shoots a much tighter pattern than the stated constriction would imply.

For example, one was telling me that his custom 0.015" constriction choke was shooting tighter patterns than his original factory extra-full 0.035" constriction choke in his gun.

First, is this really common ?

Secondly, if it is not, wonder where the confusion comes from ?

Could folks actually be scoring better with more open choke patterns than they would like to admit ?

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

The proof is in the pudding. Show us some, no multiple, patterns then let's talk shop.

Bryan

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Here is what a friend says, .750 bore Kolar w/.015 has .035 choke, he says it shoots tight, but I have not seen any patterns with it.

My Silver Seitz has a .038 choke it has Tom Wilkinson Bbl work done on it, bore is .747 minus .038= .709.

And it shoots tight patterns, but too many non-believers on here me to post any more. Tired of slams.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. Straight50

Straight50 Member

I don't know how "Custom Chokes"(after market) perform in relation to chokes either fixed or screw type that come with the shotgun as "factory choked". I have never compared them, however I suggest that with all the different bore sizes available today that a constriction measured at the muzzle has in my opinion almost no relationship in how the barrel will pattern a load of shot. I have a .750 bore Kolar that when choked with a .035 choke throws tight full choke patterns. This btw is a .715 muzzle diameter. I have a .740 bore Browning that has a fixed choke muzzle diameter of .700. It throws a tight full choke pattern similar to the Kolar. I believe a person must pattern their barrels to truly know how well or how poor a shotgun shoots, regardless of choke constriction.
    Then we would need to consider the brand of ammunition, or reload recipes, shot size, velocity etc., etc. to find out what your barrel performs most efficiently with. Most folks don't have the time or want to take the time to do this, and I agree it is time consuming. But it may be worth it, if it gives you confidence in your gun.
    You the shooter must make that decision. I have friends that never pattern a new gun on paper. They base their decision on how it breaks targets, and that works for them. To each his own.
    Dr Longshot, I have no problem believing that your Seitz shoots a tight pattern. Regards to all, Arv

5. Portigee Duckman

Portigee Duckman TS Member

I bought a optima barrel from a fella ,that he said had a full choke included
    with the barrel . It has a white band and is suppose to be a full choke ? I
    measured the barrel at .728 12" from the end and about an inch from the choke
    it measured ..738 ,entering the choke was .741 ,tapering up to a .018 constriction so , I have put it on the patterning board and it shoots like a
    LT Mod , GO FIGURE ?

6. icelander36

icelander36 Member

Arvo11.

I agree with you 100 percent. I have always said it word for word just like you did. I get a lot of flack from nonbelievers about how well my gun patterns with MY shell My barrel and MY choke. Tried the same shell in my other guns with as close of a choke as I have for them but got not even close to the same patterns. For those guns shoot a differant load all together to get good patterns. Lyle

7. Borderland

Borderland Member

Portagee Duckman. A choke that has .018 constriction when measured against the bore of your barrel would fall withen the parameters of a light-modified choke whatever the choke is marked, so no mystery here.

8. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

and then enter the variable of reloads. how a reload is tailored can make more difference than choke constriction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.