1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke constrictions vary by manufacturer.....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by open choke, Jan 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. open choke

open choke TS Member

I have carlson tubes for my browning 525 which is .740 back bored. But between them and briley they both agree on modified .020, improved modified .025 but when you get to full it varies and they both agree on extra full

Briley says light full is .030, full is .035 and extra full is .040
    Carlson says full is .030 and extra full is .040

Notice carlson skips .035 I know the different brands have different sizes to the names of the sizes

What is considered the standard? According to carlson im using a full but according to briley im using a light full.

Any thoughts?

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

IF you find a set-in-stone list of choke constrictions and designators, you will still have to pattern them because profile differences between chokes of the same constriction will cause them to perform very differently.

Ed

3. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I find what is said and what is actually measured by these manufacturers are two different things. I would go more by what you see on paper and how you are breaking clays on the field. You can drive yourself crazy with the choke tube stuff.

I'll probably get a disagreement(s) on this but, I find the Beretta factory (ones included with my guns) to be very true and exact to size. My measuring source is a quality Starret i.d. mic. And as you mentioned you have to bore mic your barrel. A gunsmith will get you that number, bore mic is pretty steep in price if your not into that kind of work.

4. open choke

open choke TS Member

Well one reason I bought Carlson was...because everytime I call Briley and the lady answers the phone I said I have a technical choke question she said let me transfer you and then it would just ring I tried calling 3 seperate times still I have never spoke to a guy at Briley. So I got some answers from Carson's and bought from them.

If it was the same product I would say screw it but I would like something between .030 & extra full or if there are some good features of the tube I was looking into I have and and always will pattern my chokes so I know where I am

I guess I will give Carson's a calls to see if they will make a .035 for me at least the. It will be the same tube that I have and like just a little tighter

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I don't think there is a "standard"?

6. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

I can't remember who it was who said it, so I'll have to attribute it anonymously:

"Choke is a measure of performance, not constriction".

You need to look at the pattern board to know what is "full" and what is "modified" with a particular load through a particular barrel.

And that's my $0.02

-V

7. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Sorry that you had a bad experience dealing with Briley. My experiences have always been positive. That being said, I bought an older model Browning Citori some weeks ago, and on the patterning board, it's fixed "full" choke barrel patterns tighter than the Briley XF tube for my XT. Same shells, same powder charge, same shot size, same distance, etc. Just goes to show you....the pattern board tells the story. Jack

p.s. Hi Doughboy! Congratulations on your win! And thanks! Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.