1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

choke constriction question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by FLAKETM, Jul 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

There seems to be two different measuring systems for chokes and I'm dense. I have a choke tube that is 029. It really eats targets. I wanted to get my other gun choked at 029. Took the tube to a gunsmith. He said it was 711. Now, what the heck is the difference? Thanks.

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Your choke is 0.029 (smaller than the bore.)

Your choke is 0.711.

So your bore is the sum of the two, 0.740.

Neil

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

The .711 is what your muzzle (or choke tube) actually measures at the inside diameter of the choke (0.711 inches.)

The 0.029 number is the difference between the barrel bore diamter and the choke inside diamter.

A 12 gauge bore is nominally 0.729 inches inside diameter unless your barrel is back bored, or its an off-size...mine measure 0.724.

For example, if your bore diameter is 0.729, and your choke is 0.029 inches of constriction, your choke ID would measure 0.700 inches.

It helps to know what your barrel bore diameter is.

But the bottom line in chokes is, how does it pattern?

4. blooper

blooper TS Member

it sounds like (assuming your other gun has a bore of .729) that it has already been choked to .018 thousands restriction (.729 bore choked down to .711 at the muzzle =light modified) or already too big to make it a .029 choke

5. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Folks, I've been out of town and just now seeing replies to my thread. Thanks so much. The barrel with the 029 choke tube is 726. I'll just ask for a 29 constriction.
    Guy Coates

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Flake, if it's 0.711 then your math isn't wprking out right. If the choke is 0.029 and the barrel is 0.726, then the choke is 0.697, not 0.711. I'd check all your measurements if I were you.

Especially since I can't imagine 0.029 hitting harder than anything tighter and if you plan on moving to long yardage you will want more choke than that for sure.

If the gun shoots where you want it to now, you are taking a chance with it for no specific gain, but then, it _is_ your gun.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.