1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke Constriction: Opinions Wanted

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chango2, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Hi,

Yesterday I went shooting for the first time in about six months. I was trying out a used gun, new to me, and tried some of its choke tubes at the 16 yard line. The gun is an older Kolar O/U, and the bore is .738. I was using the top single barrel. A choke with only 16/1000 made the targets simply disappear when hit; would obliterate the targets. A 28/1000 choke would create puffs of very dark dust/smoke. And I am not a particularly fast or slow shooter.

So...perhaps the old time thinking of 30/1000, that is "full" as the choke to use in trap is a bit outdated given today's high quality ammunition, factory care in making long choke tubes, long forcing tubes, etc. Maybe there is some kind of basic rule of "1/3" wherein 1/3 less points of constriction works as well with today's excellent ammo and barrels compared to the over cardboard fiber designs used back in the 50's and Model 12 was king.

I'd like to hear others give their recommendations of using the 16/1000 (or other points of constriction) when I can shoot more again (not totally healed from shoulder repair) and, hopefully, in theory, have a bigger effective pattern at target distances. I realize that all constrictions print the same pattern, but at different distances from the muzzle. This was explained to me by a well-versed gunmaker who had carried out that experiment.

Thanks...advice appreciated.

2. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

the less constriction the more likely you'll have a pattern that a target will escape through unbroken. The reasoning behind higher density patterns is to prevent that from happening. That said each and every pattern is a toss of the dice, a random dispersion of shot at the time it pierces the paper or pattern board/plate. They are like snowflakes no two alike.

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Frank Little said there is only one choke FULL.

GB
    DLS

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Did you buy the gun? How were you able to determine the choke constriction? HMB

5. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

LM 16 yrd
    Mod 19 yrd
    Im Mod 22 yrd back. works for me.
    Light Full by the fence.

That is what works for me.

6. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Chokes,ammo & the specific gun is what matters--In Infinities & Mach Ones the tightest choke that comes with the guns is .030 (light full)- You can't get any better breaks that I get with .015 Briley S2 in my Infinity with STS 1 oz 81/2 @ 1185- the target just vanishes,

Phil Berkowitz

7. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

just keep shooting it, there are lots of other factors, temp, wind target makeup take that load to work on some cold biodegradble champion targets in a 30mph cross wind.

8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Start with .016 and as you move back in yardage the constriction should match the yard marker to the .027. Or if you want to make it easy, start with .027 and leave it in for everything, and everywhere. Less to think about. At 16 yds. if you miss with .027 choke, you would miss with the .016 also.

9. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

you need to spend some time at the pattern board there will be areas that lack the density to break a bird so you use smaller shot to get the pattern density, not you've sacrificed target breaking energy go figure

10. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I know the constrictions via use of an inside bore micrometer.

11. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

.030...light full for everything. (singles and caps) No need to pull a sporting clays act by changing chokes on every field change. (worse than teenage girls and lipstick colors)

12. In plain view

In plain view Member

David: Over the years I have spent a lot of money on choke tubes, backnboring, long forcing cones etc in order to increase my averages. Has the cost of doing all these things helped? No, not truthfully. There was a time years ago that the magic number to constrict was 30. What is it today? Anything that works "for you." As an example my primary gun today is a Perazzi TMX that had all the trick stuff done to it. Regardless the choke tubes used my hits are nothing to brag aboutt. Seldom do I see a smoke. Just bought a set of Wrights and Briley tubes and what a waste of money that was. Went back to the factory tube number 6 (024) and number 8 tube (032) and my scores improved. I guess what I am trying to say is find the choke that you are "comfortable" with and stick to it. As the old saying goes, I'd rather have 100 chips than a 99 with smokes. I'm no expert but I believe that the gun, barrell, choke, ammo and shot all have a part in this patterning business. JMHO. Bob English in Los Angeles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.