1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

choke cleaners

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BIG RY, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIG RY

BIG RY TS Member

I use the comp-n-chokes in my o/u and to get them clean after a afternoon of shooting is a real pain. Is there a product out there that will get the gunk off of them.

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I use carb cleaner on my chokes,bought the 1 gallon jug and keep a small amout in glass jar just for chokes. I do not use it on any othe parts or blued parts. I do not know if will damage other parts finish?

3. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Plain ole Hoppe's #9 works for me on the choke tubes and barrels. I take the tubes out once a year, clean them "with Hoppe's" and coat them with STOS and put them back in. Never had a problem!

4. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

I use hopope's too, I will use a drill motor and brass brush if they are really bad.

Mike

5. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

mike: I also use a brush and battery drill but I use a 10 Ga. brush because of back-boring. I guess it doesn't matter though because the cleaning rods are absolutely unbalanced and consequently if used or rather pushed through slowly will do the job and never hurt anything. Dave P

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I clean my gun about every 300-500 rounds or once a week whichever comes first. I put a swab on a 10 gauge brush, dip in #9 and run it through a couple of times to wet the dirt. I pull out the choke and set it in the bottle of #9 to soften the gunk. Wrap a piece of steel wool on the brush and run it through a few times. Take off the wool and put on a clean swab and dry out the barrel. Use a smaller brush to clean the choke and a chip brush to clean the ports. Run a swab wet with oil through the barrel and put the choke back in with some oil on the threads.

7. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

makita cordless drill,12 ga brush,dipped in hoppes ,run drill in tube for 1 min & flush with brake clean,clean as a whisle,mark

8. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

"Choke" and Carb cleaner ! What else !

do it outside, nasty stuff

works INSTANTLY

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Carburetor cleaner and break cleaners are usually acetone. The least expensive way to buy it is in a paint department. It evaporates quickly. Other paint cleaners/solvents will evaporate slower and give a bit more working time. Simple paint thinner is pretty good.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.