1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke Carbon Build-Up

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 4th. down, Jun 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Beretta Optima Ext. Factory Chokes - skeet thru full are building up alot of carbon beginning with the skirt entrance and going up the inside of the choke for about 3/4".

On my other guns and chokes, I don't have this problem.

I'm thinking that the chokes don't fit good - too much clearance on seating the choke in the muzzle. These chokes do not perform like they should for each choke constriction, ie. - the modified choke shoots like a skeet choke and the only choke that performs like it should is the IC. Thoughts please.

2. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Get yourself some CMD grease or a heavy type and cover the whole tube except for the exposed part and it should form a seal so don't get the carbon build up. The heavy grease will also help keep your chokes from coming loose.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I suspect the build up in the chokes is plastic from the wads. Average Ed has given us some excellent observations that suggest the shape of the choke is the primary factor resulting in plastic build up.

It is quite common for choke tubes to result in patterns that are different from the label stamped on the tube. Determine what pattern you want, find the tube that throws this pattern and use that tube. Don't be overly concerned with what is stamped on the tube.

To compare patterns, you need to count a lot of holes in 10 patterns shot with each load and each tube. That takes a lot of paper and a lot of time.

Pat Ireland

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'm not sure where you're seeing the carbon. If it's on the exterior of the tube, I think it can accumulate there because the threads on Optima chokes are at the outlet end of the tubes. I use Wright's chokes in my Beretta and notice the same thing when I remove my chokes about once a year just to make sure I still can.

My Remingtons don't and my Krieghoff didn't exhibit this condition but their threads are/were on the inlet end of the choke, possibly blocking the carbon deposits from migrating further. Regardless, it's harmless and cleans off easily with gun cleaning solvent or even oil.

As far as your patterns being too "loose," that's contrary to my experience with Optima chokes. In fact, Joel Etchen only specifies one "Full" tube for his special-order combos because an Optima "I/M" choke usually throws patterns that are very "Full." I agree with Pat - put them on paper and see what the patterns look like (I defer the hole-counting chores to those with time on their hands).

Ed

5. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Ed, thanks for thoughts.

The carbon is excessive inside the choke tube for about 3/4".

Yes, did the paper after poor breaks made me wonder what's happening. As stated, the IC choke is good but the others will probably end-up in the trash can.

6. oz

oz Active Member

I love my Optima extended chokes that came with my 682E. If you're going to throw then away, I'll take them. oz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.