1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke/Barrel question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by linkerman, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linkerman

linkerman Member

Guys me and my nine year old son are new to trap shooting and I need some help in understanding choke size. My son is shooting a Remington 11-87 Sporting Clays with a 26 inch barrel that came with a set of five extended choke tubes. From the information on Remingtons web site the barrel bore ID is .727.

So, here is my question; The skeet choke measures .735, the improved skeet measures .735. How can the constriction of the ID of a choke be larger that the ID of the barrel?

Thank for your valued input!!

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Remington has made numerous barrel bores. You need to measure the bore on your barrel and then compare that to the tightest point on the tube.

I also suggest you pattern your Remington chokes on paper and see what they pattern like. You will probably find they don't pattern very well. Then I suggest you buy some quality chokes, like Briley. Bill Malcolm

3. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Beretta also has their Skeet choke diameter larger than the bore. The walls of the choke tube taper out. Usually a Skeet choke has .005 constriction. Not sure what the constriction of the Improved Skeet, .008 comes to mind.

Are the extended chokes Remington? The barrel may have been over bored.

Are the measurements of the Skeet and Improved Skeet the same?

I hope you and your son are using at least a Modified choke from the 16 yard line.

Jason

4. linkerman

linkerman Member

Jason,
    Sorry my miss print, the skeet is .735 and the improved skeet is .730. They are Remington factory extended chokes that came with the gun. And yes we are both shooting modified from the 16 yard line. BTW the modified measures .708.

Thanks David W

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.