1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke Answers Wanted

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by citadel, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. citadel

citadel Active Member

Is it reasonable to assume that if a choke set fits correctly and screws into the threads of my gun (MX-15) that the chokes are safe to use in the gun? Does it make any difference if a choke set is flush fitting or if it extends beyond teh end of the barrel. Also some chokes are ported or have slots. Does this really help or is it just "marketing"? The entire choke deal seems at times to be a little like a "black art" with no real solid answers available. Can someone point me to an information source on chokes and the differences between the many and varried brands and types that there are available and does selecting the right choke really make a difference? Help Please.
    Doug

2. FLIP

FLIP Member

dealing with guns its never safe to assume!

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Doug, this question justed opened up a large can of worms, so to speak. You will get dozens of answers to this question of yours. Long and short is chokes are not all exact in there sizeing. If you buy a quaility choke, chances are you will get one that is good. I like and shoot Briley's top lines of chokes. I believe that they are the leaders in this department, but there are alot of good others out there as well. They do alot of testing, and I have read several articles by them. No, Porting and slotted chokes do nothing, and in my opionion are a marketing ploy. I like the extented chokes as well. They are easier to change out without the use of a wrench. If you use a wrench be sure not to overtighen them, just snug them down is all. The only true way to know if your chokes are what you want are to mic. the barrels and find out exactly how much constriction they are closing your barrel. A Good Mic is not cheap and will cost you. Best to have a gunsmith just check a few for you, if you have something else done, he more than likely not even charge you. Hope this helps you somewhat. Breake-em all. Jeff

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

citadel

"It is too bad that the other two responses, one form Flip and one from Gary Walker are either meaningless, not informative or just cheap shots at the person putting up the request for information."

So let me see if I understand your request, you make an assumption that a choke of unknown origin fits you gun correctly. Without a manufacturer's name or any information about what guns it was made for. Or whose choke it is and you want others to tell you that it is fine to use those chokes.

When two posters tell you in their own words that it is not you aren't satisfied with the responses. Well Doug I am sure you won't be happy this one either. As I can't change that I will honestly give you an answer. It seems to me if you come here with a preconceived notion of what the answer should be and you are disappointed when you don't get what you want. You shouldn't also assume that everyone has the information you wish.

If information is all you wanted you could have GOOGLED it. If however you wish to learn(I personally feel you are on a fishing trip)you should look at the responses a little more closely.

Flip said safety should be first in your mind "its never safe to assume" you however didn't like that answer. So it is incorrect in your mind!!!!!

Gary stated that unknown chokes as in the sense that you never said what gun these chokes were made for. Should never be used in a gun they weren't specifically made for. Here again you aren't satisfied with that answer it doesn't fit your agenda.

So tell us do you want someone to tell you that it is alright to put that choke in your gun? Then go to the line and shoot it? Well if anyone here tells you that or even hits that it is OK then there is something wrong with them in their mind. If that doesn't fit you agenda I am sorry.

If what you are asking about is information then I have some for you. If you can't identify that choke and what gun it was made for DON'T USE IT it could blow up in your face. Which is your business but those that might get hurt by your ignorance deserve better even from you.

I have provided a link to briley"s website you should be able to get information there here all you will get is opinions. You have already received three fair opinions. You however didn't like two of them so obviously opinions aren't the right information for you.

Bob Lawless

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Doug,

To answer your first question about choke safety, you have to understand that the inside diameter of the barrel where it meets the screw in choke has to mate properly with the srew in choke tube.

This means that when the shot and wad are traveling down the barrel and make first contact with the choke tube, the inside diameter if the choke has to be larger than the barrel diameter. The screw in choke is said to be flared, this allows a smooth entry of the shot and wad into the screw in choke tube.

The dimensions mentioned above should be checked using a barrel micrometer. This will determine if the proper clearences exist. For example if the barrel diameter where it meets the choke is .730 and the choke flare measures .735, there would be .005 clearence, and the choke would be safe to use. If on the other hand, the choke flare measured .725, which is smaller than the barrel diameter, the combination would be unsafe. HMB

6. citadel

citadel Active Member

7. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Bumping without a comment on the above posts?????? Hmmmmmm.... change your lure or get packing!

AndyH ;-|

8. citadel

citadel Active Member

Gary thanks for your comments and helpful information.

Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.