1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke Adjustment?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chichay, Aug 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Short of patterning, what is the consensus when the reloader reduces his shot weight from 1-oz to 7/8oz, assuming he keeps the muzzle velocity and shot size the same; should he tighten his choke?

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

The general consensus is that you'll have a lighter fringe, with about a good, reasonable center density that was not quite as hot as the heavier load.

NOTHING is going to swim through your center 20".

If you go up a constriction, you'll have a smaller, tighter diameter (including a reasonably deadly fringe).

NOTHING is going to swim through your center 22".

This pretty-well holds for velocities 1180±, but 24gm or 7/8oz can get flukey dense or flukey spread above and below speed.

Alllllthatsaid ... YMMV and your barrel will tell you what it likes.

Bob

3. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Chichay, The patterns I have shot using 7/8 oz were ugly, with holes. I would go to the next size smaller choke from what you used for 1oz , or Extra full

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

If you don't pattern, you are just guessing. My current barrels handle 24g loads wonderfully well, even the .019" choke. My last gun didn't. Patterns were like Jerry P's. So what does that tell you about your gun? A half hour spent patterning will answer your question.

5. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

Tightning the choke probably will just make the pattern worse (more holes). See http://www.shootingbunker.com/OpenItUp.html for an example. Schroll to the bottom of the page.

As Goatskin says, less shot less fringe. If you center the pattern every time, the target will break. Most of us need those fringe pellets a couple of times out of each 100; we want all the fringe we can get.

- - Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.