1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choice: Shoot right or left handed?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DTrykow, Jun 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Unless your XT is cast neutral you'll have problems shooting LH with it. Also I'm not sure but most Brownings have RH Palm swell. I'm a left hand shooter and had a XT. My Stock maker said it wasn't worth the expense for a custom stock. Switch shoulders and upgrade. Dave T.

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are a product of the right handed world. (you must adapt well).
    If you really are strongly left eye dominant then you should be using your left hand to operate the trigger. Why not try shooting left handed for a while and see if it works better for you.

Being a lefty does reduce the selection of equipment that is available to you, if I had a choice I would prefer to be right handed.

3. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I'm sure someone shared this experience so this can be confirmed. I once saw a shooter at the PA State Shoot take post 1 through 3 right handed and posts 4 and 5 left handed.

I thought it was an aftermath of a wild night the previous evening but I wasn't the only one to see it.

BTW he broke a mighty fine score. I think a 99.

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Just because your are left eye dominant doesn't mean that your eyes wouldn't occasionally switch dominance anyway. That is why most tape users are right eye dominant, just not all the time. Why learn to shoot lefthanded then have to tape your right eye?

5. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

You might want to check out the eye dominance thread I posted earlier.

6. YUKONJACK

YUKONJACK TS Member

I am strong left eye dominate and shoot off my right shoulder.Shot many years off my right shoulder and closed my left eye for years,I managed to make the 27 and sta in AA.A friend of mine talked me into trying tape on my left eye
    just so I couldn't see the front bead with my left eye and shoot with both eyes open,.ade shooting more comfortable and was able to maintain my AA,and 27 yars avweages.Hope this helps.Yukon Jack

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You should thanks us for the semi legitimate reason for getting another gun. Usually I have to completly fabricate the logic.

Best of luck on what ever approach you choose.

8. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

No he didn't change guns and as far as I know he could have if it didn't disrupt the harmony of the shoot.

The guy was tall and skinny with a cowboy hat and I'm sure I'm not the only one to see this. he attracted quite a crowd.

9. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Nsxer I too are like you being naturally right handed and left eye dominate.I do have one thing though, my eye dominance was discovered by my Dad when he bought me a BB gun when I was six and he taught me to shoot left handed. I'm saying that you should stay with how you hunt and have shot previously. Some of the other shooters will explain how to install the tape to fuzz out the dominate eye. Good luck with your shooting and be sure you get a gun that fits you. Dan

10. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

I shoot Browning guns (obviously, given my screen name), and I'm left handed. I shoot a BT-99 for singles, XT for doubles, XS Skeet for sporting, and BPS pump for hunting. There's a reason I like Brownings... they all cast pretty neutral. And the palm swell on my XT is not nearly as pronounced as on my XS Skeet. Though it kind of felt "weird" when I started shooting the guns, I can honestly say I don't even notice it now.

Don't let anybody brainwash you and tell you that just because you switch hands, you have to buy a new gun. If you want to buy a new gun and are looking for a reason, that's one thing. Go for it. But have to??? Not really.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Many successful shooters are right handed and have a dominate left eye. It requires a little different shooting style (low gun) but is not really a detriment. Depth perception is reduced when viewing large objects with one eye, but not when viewing small objects over 20 feet away. The field of vision is reduced by using only one, but when shooting the field of vision should only be focused on the target.

Pat Ireland

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

LH shooter here, raised shooting righty 'cause that's the way ya shoot. Well I will tell you. I am left eye dominate. Been shooting righty up until I started shooting pistol and then trap. Now when I was younger and going bird hunting I shot RH I got my share of birds, but had many "why did I miss that one". Shooting trap and pre mounting the gun is where the problems started for me. Had a hard time focusing and picking up the bird. Then I switched sides, what a huge difference. If you have adjustable comb it will make things easier. I have a XT with RH palm swell(had, recently got a LH PFS) With a tad bit of toe out. Which would make the toe of the stock stick into your chest a bit shooting LH. I lived with that for 2 years. Did not really bother me much until 250 to 300 targets in short order. It takes nothing to try it. Shooting CMP program I have switched to LH one eye and scores are more consistant. So for me shooting LH Leye dominate both eyes open.

13. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

NXSER; Congratulations you have asked for advice and have not called the posters names yet. I can hardly wait for the next thread question as they are just so interesting.

Don

14. The Old Beater

The Old Beater TS Member

I can surely sympathize with your problem. Which shoulder to shoot off of has been the single most difficult thing for me to decide. I am right handed and left eye dominant. I taught myself to shoot using a BB gun and I naturally shot it left handed because I found that my left eye focused better than my right eye (this was before I began wearing glasses.) When I finally began shooting shotguns many years later I tried shooting right handed because the gun was a bolt action and I thought I should shoot it the proper way. Many years of frustration later I decided to switch to left handed shooting to be able to keep both eyes open. It took me about two years of what I would call casual shooting to feel comfortable shooting left handed again and please do not bring up the question of trying to find a gun that fits. I am on a budget and I have tried to cut corners every which way. Do yourself a favor and if you are going to try left handed shooting, shell out some cash and get one that is cast for a left handed shooter and have it fitted to you. You will save much frustration in the long run. I just recently purchased a left handed pump for trap and I am down to shooting with tape on my right lens because I still experience the occaisional crossfire that makes me want to switch shoulders yet again. I am fairly successful with this left handed one-eyed approach, however, and I shoot what I call respectable scores because I am only really competing with myself. Would I be better off switching shoulders again and putting tape on my left lens to shoot right handed? I don't really know but I would sure have a larger selection of guns to choose from! I guess I just enjoy chasing my own tail. My final advice...ask yourself how much time, effort, and money you want to put into your shooting and then decide on the path that fits your level of comfort. Don't drive yourself nuts like I have!

Best wishes
    Blaise

15. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

If you are new to shooting and have no physical impediments that would hinder a switch, then I would switch to lefty ASAP.

I don't have a dominant eye. It causes a world of trouble. I started shooting using one eye, then I tried the use two eyes but close one just before you fire trick. A few years ago I decided to learn to shoot 2-eyed no matter what it took. It took a LOT. I eventually learned, and after making several compensatory adjustments I scored pretty well.

I hit a plateau of 96 during the summer months, and wanted to do better. I took two clinincs and gave everything I was told a thorough try. My average dropped to under 90 for the year I was "experimenting". Nothing helped.

My left eye is now stronger than my right, and I seem to favor it. I cannot switch hands because damage to my left hand will not allow me to grip the gun properly. So after having been told by Phil Kiner I was cross shooting more than ever, I decided, very reluctantly, to try tape, magic dots, closing one eye, patch, etc. I am slowly getting used to it, but I can tell you there is a WORLD of difference between 1-eyed and 2-eyed. 2-eyed is MUCH better.

So I'd suggest you switch right now so you don't have as much to unlearn before your begin to shoot well again. I dislike tape over the left eye or shooting 1-eyed SO much, I am considering dropping Trap. I can shoot Skeet and Sporting with an unmounted gun and both eyes open with no problem.

16. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Same ol' question. Same ol' answer. I am also right handed with a strong left master. If you are going to be a very good shooter, you must shoot from the side of your master eye. Actually, there are many advantages but that is not the point. Shooting moving targets is a sight game. You must shoot from the master eye side or you are at a huge disadvantage. Jake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

right handed but shoot left handed

shoot using left or roght eye