1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choice of Chokes for doubles question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OhioGal, Jul 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

I have learned everybody has an opinion. So here goes the question.

I am interested in trying to shoot doubles. Took a class from Nora this Spring and she gave me the where to look, which bird to shoot first etc., I was terrible I only broke one set, did alot of singles but just one pair.

Now I have a different gun a Browning Cynergy Combo, and I have that itch to try again...so in my single barrel I use a Improved Modified. When I put the double barrel back on should I use an IM in the bottom and what is the top then?

Also I shoot 7 1/2 should I change to 8's till I get more use to shooting doubles? I also have improved my scores a bit with this gun, so I want to move back to the 22 (with the single barrel)to shoot handicap, keep the same choke in the single barrel? I read the post today about the experts use as far as 7 1/2 or 8's...

Thanks
    Deb

2. Prescott Gene

Prescott Gene Member

Everybody does, indeed, have an opinion. Here is mine.

Improved cylinder on the bottom and modified on the top. Shoot bottom first. 1oz of 8 1/2's for both barrels. You may want to start with Modified on the bottom and Improved Modified on the top, as you are just beginning and will be a bit slower to the birds. I would stick with a low recoiling shell for the first shot as it will help keep your face on the gun for the second shot. Less recovery.

The most important point for me is to hold for the first target. You know where it is going. I like to hold just a bit below where I am going to break the bird and see it come over the barrel and make a SMALL move to it. Too much movement on the first shot causes too much recovery to get to the second bird.

Get lots of practice and don't be afraid to have a good shooter "coach" you. You do not want to practice your mistakes. Watch the Doubles shooters at your club and see which ones you like as far as style and ability. Ask them to watch you and see if they can spot anything that you might be doing wrong.

Remember to have fun!

Gene

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

I've taken clinics from 4 Bigdogs who are top-notch doubles shooters, always asked this question - and not a single one of them uses less than IM for the second shot.

That second target, at the point where you're hitting it, has less "spin" on it than any other target in trapshooting. You're not getting as much "help" breaking it, and under all target and weather conditions, Mod simply does not cut it. For a beginner, Full is probably best.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

generally LM (.015) or M(.020) first shot and IM (.025) or Ltfull (.030) 2nd shot....

light 8's in 1 oz will work fine.

5. philk

philk Member

You could say a Citori has a "tall" receiver but it would be a real stretch to call the Cynergy design a tall receiver.

6. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

With stock Browning chokes you will be dissapointed with anything less than Mod. for your first shot and Improved Mod for your second shot. Shot choice [for me] 1oz # 8 first shot 1/1/8 7 1/2's for the second shot. You need to pattern your gun to see where it is shooting......Do not be afraid to use either barrel for first or second shot....what counts is the POI your eye likes. Doubles is ALL about how you set for the first target. In the beginning get good form for the first target and the second will just happen.

GS

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Deb,

If you want to shoot good doubles you will need a gun whose POI is adjusted so you can hit the second bird. The first bird is easy, it's a straight away and you know right where it is going to be. The key is the second bird. HMB

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

OhioGal, 8s have enough energy to break the second target even when it is only inches from the ground. So I use 8s, because they give a denser pattern the 7 1/2s do.

The advice given above to actually pattern your chokes on paper is good advice. Browning chokes are usually not what you'd expect from the markings. If you don't want to pattern, have someone measure them for you, then use .020" and .025" constrictions.

If you shoot the first bird quickly, then .015" for the first shot is ideal. I'd still stay with .025" for the second.

9. ink ball

ink ball Member

My preference is .015 for the first shot and .030 for the second. I use 1 oz of 7.5's for both shots.

10. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

Every person is different and your choke choices may even change as you develop your own timing, once you get comfortable and are breaking targets with some consistency. Practicing the basics learned in the clinic you attended is likely more important than chokes at this point; however, the May 2009 issue of Trap & Field has an equipment survey from the All Americans which you might find useful.

Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.