1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

chock tubes comming lose...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by joe sixgun, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe sixgun

joe sixgun TS Member

Hello all, I have a problem with my chocks comming loose after shooting Noble papers (my preferred handycap load)...is there something I can do about this, or am I just whinning about a mute point?

2. kallen

kallen TS Member

How much oil do you have on the threads?

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

that is a common problem- thick grease might help

teflon tape will help

it is much better than the choke tubes getting too tight

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Cutting well matching threads in tow pieces of metal is not a real simple job. If you screw in the choke tube by hand as far as possible and then can only tighten it a very small amount with a wrench (about 1/32 inch turn), you have a well machined set of threads. If not, your threads are not well matched and you need something to fill up the voids. A very viscous oil such as STP might work for filling the voids.

I take out the choke tube I use about once every 3 years. I put a little grease on the threads and put it back in for another 3 years. I tighten it by hand, then a little snug with a wrench and it stays put. Taking out tubes frequently does cause thread wear. Screwing something in and out many times causes it to become loose.

Pat Ireland

5. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

pat now i know whats wrong with the wife LOL rick

6. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

DOH!! Funny Rick LOL Steve

7. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

In my BT-99 and my Citori combo my chokes come loose also. I prefer this problem over being too tight and not coming out. I just check the tubes as I walk between stations.

Bill

8. incognito

incognito TS Member

My chocks came loose once..............................

And my truck rolled away....................

9. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Personally, I wouldn't worry about wearing out the choke threads from screwing them in and out. They are made from the same (or harder) steel as the other critical parts of your gun. On an autoloader, the bolt will cycle rather violently every time you pull the trigger and yet few people actually wear out a bolt or receiver on a quality made autoloader.

Choke tubes are changed much less frequently than the number of rounds fired in a gun. When they are changed, they are done with less force than the cycling of an autoloader's bolt.

As suggested, a wrap or two of teflon tape should help tighten up loose choke tubes. Also, I don't think that the kind of shells you are shooting would make much difference in the tubes coming loose. If your choke tubes extend beyond the end of the barrel, it is very easy to periodically check the tubes for tightness.

10. kolar12

kolar12 Member

My first question is do you use a toe tab?? If you do than this is a cotributer to the problem. Do you change tube from singles to handicap? If you do not, use the teflon tape. I do and it works great for me. Make sure that you use grease with it though. Don't want them to get stuck.

The toe tabs or the magnetic pads help to unscrew the chokes.

Break 'em

11. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Use a choke wrench and put about 7ft/lbs on 'em.

You didn't say how many shots it takes for your tubes to loosen. If you have extended tubes and you hand-tighten, then you can't get much torque on them, especially the second tube in an O/U....and they will eventually shoot loose, unless you avail yourself of a good choke tube wrench.

12. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Go to the GM store and buy some anti-seize grease used in engine assembly...a head bolt lubricant. This ought to do it..did for me. Oh, after you buy the grease, put a little on the choke tube threads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.