1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chipping high grade guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Just thought of an idea. Wonder if it's possible to put a tracking chip into a high grade gun so you can find it if lost at airport, stolen etc.

2. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Why does it have to be a high grade gun?

3. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Probably be a great idea for gun dealers also. A tracking chip in your firearm would solve a lot of problems.

4. 682LINY

682LINY Member

recoil mite be an issue,,,they have lojack in laptops and gps in phones,, easy to do somthing in a quality airline type case

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

ARE you serious??? BATF and all the tree huggers want this now.

Along with micro firing pin id. Jeez..........

Wayne

6. quartering

quartering Active Member

i like the idea: if i lose my gun, i can contact the federal government and they can tell me exactly where it is! kind of like onstar, but better

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Nothing new, the feds been using it for years.

8. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

would have to be voluntary.

9. quartering

quartering Active Member

absolutely: if you volunteer to purchase a gun, you volunteer to have it "chipped"

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"i can contact the federal government and they can tell me exactly where it is"

Yeah if you lose your gun and the Feds find out, good luck get'n that one back.

11. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Not sure if you really mean "chip". "Chips" are sometimes placed in items (or animals) so they may be "scanned" after capture for tracking or data purposes. It is a form of "serial numbering".

Guns already have serial numbers.

If you want to track something,, you would need to install a transponder or some other frequency-emitting device, which requires a power supply, is larger, etc.

bluedsteel

12. steele

steele TS Member

From my prior experience with the State Police, there is common technology to track cell phones. A cellphone is always transmtting a signal. This signal is the EIN ( Electronic Identification Number) This is how the cell tower locates it. When I travel with my guns, I put one of my cell phones in the case. I cut a slit in the foam & slide it inside. It is almost invisible, unless a search is made. If the case comes up missing, LE can track it. Butch from Pgh

13. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Isn't this what they were using in Fast & Furious????

14. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Technically it would be a piece of cake to put a cell phone chip/card in the stock of the gun. It would give you the GPS and cell site location of the gun. Yes it would need a battery. Since you wouldn't be talking on the phone or using "apps" the battery would last quite a long time. Just charge it up before you go to a shoot or take it on travel.

We use similar technology in radio control racing planes. We use the GPS track to see who won the race, which covers many miles.

The question of "if" has to be answered by each user.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.