1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chipmakers Shot Machine video is up on YouTube

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chipmaker, Dec 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

Here is the link to my video I shot last night, took me a bit longer to get it posted I had to join two videos and then post it at the shop this morning. Please excuse the lack of paint etc as it was all development and I will paint everything after I'm totally satisfied. I have tried to explain a few things about it as I go in the video, and I'm sure there will be questions! Please enjoy it and maybe this will help answer some of the questions some of you guys have had about shot making. I will continue to learn and try to improve upon this as time goes on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwVvdIFyQ0Q

2. shootintom

shootintom TS Member

chipmaker - you are the man!!!!! Must be nice to be able to spend that kind of money to build a shot making system. I see that you're ladles have changed from being cut on the CNC to being welded together. I know that had to save a lot of time at no disadvantage. With the way your system works, the only thing that you really need to tend right now is the output shot pan. I'll be anxious to see your design on your conveyer.

Mega Kudos my friend on the excellent work. The only negative side I can see is that you live too far from me! LOL!

Tom

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Chipman, your well on the way to manufacturing shot in a big way guy!! Great job on getting the most out of your improvements which are awesome to say the least!!! The conveyor for removing the shot is a dandy idea too! It's nice when you have the tools and knowhow to build a better mousetrap, which you've done!!! Great job guy and thanks for sharing it with all of us too!!!

Hap

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Chipmaker,

I'd love to get into shot making myself, and please do not misunderstand, but you way out do me on the technical side of 'toys.'

My question for you is what is the possibility of using your ladle system as a 'stand alone' shot maker?? I understand the pre-heat idea of the other pots, but for us JFA's (Johnny 'F' arounds) the ladle alone might work - I like the extra heating element under the ramp. Could the heat on these be controlled with rheostats? What sort of cost to buy just the ladle with the heating elements??

THANKS, and by the way - WAY COOL,

David D

5. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

Tom, I did not have a chunk of 6061 aluminum in stock to make it out of, making it up out of a weldment is actually more time consuming than CNC machining from bar stock for me. But I pre-machine everything before welding so it all fits nice and square etc! Sorry I guess it OCD machining practices.............

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Now that is an awsome shot machine. It's easy to see that not only are you very intelligent but can see things in your mind/development. I'm the type that feels that I can fix anything that someone else made but no sense/ideas for making things. Again great job. Jackie B.

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Great looking machine. I'm surprised machine coolant works so well. Your not having any popcorn with that coolant mix? What about dimples in your shot, are you getting any?

8. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

WONDERFUL..SIMPLY WONDERFUL.. KINDA GIVES ME A WOODY..LOL..

9. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

Never had any popcorn, some very minute dimples may occur. When I tried to "richen" it up with some old soluble oil I had it got frosty and spiney on the outside. Dumped that load of coolant and when right back to our 5% mix right out of the mixing valve on the coolant mix barrel and problem when away instantly. Although there may be improvements in the cooling fluids to investigate in the future I am not going to worry too much in that area right now. I will now take my time and tweak and adjust with small calculated changes, otherwise change a whole bunch of things at once and you will surely be chasing you tail! I've got it running so good right now, all you have to do is turn it on let the pots come to temp and open the valves and it's making shot from the first drip!!! This was my whole intention to build something to make big quantities in a short amount of time and not have to constantly tinker with it. I just knew in my mind it was going to be all about temp control to get one to run dependably!

10. shootintom

shootintom TS Member

chipmaker - If you are planning on double drippers you will have to tend your catch tray more frequently as well as your lead levels. By the looks of the single drippers you could go out for lunch with no problems!

Tom

11. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

Tom, If I had the conveyor built I could but it fills those mud pans in about 8-10 minutes!

12. dennis p

dennis p Member

your the man

13. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Chipmaker: Nice machine, can't wait to see the conveyor. Will it have the dryer built in?

Incidentially, there is nothing wrong with OCD or Anal Retentive, That's where all the really good work comes from. You can't hardly be a good machinist if you aren't one or the other. Both is better yet!

Tell me gun engravers aren't AR or OCD?

Randy

14. Bart S.

Bart S. Member

Is this going to some of Friday night's foder? Nice looking setup

15. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

All I can say is WOW. I continued to work on my set up that I asked you about, and actually made some. I have to wait for a bit warmer weather here. in NY but I am working on refineing mine.

Yours is way nicer then my redneck engineering!!!!

THANKS!!!Jerry Lewis

16. kd185

kd185 Member

nice work
    what is raw lead costing you
    theres no way you can feed that hungry beast with free lead supplys

17. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

well lets just say what my buddy and I paid for the original 4500lbs we have probably won't happen again. I think the best stuff would be mined shot bought in quantity from the clubs that are getting it done.

18. superump

superump TS Member

What a piece of junk!!! You should be so embarrassed that you should mail that to me ASAP! Just funnin - wow what a great machine and great palnning and workmanship! GOOD JOB! and thanks for showing it!

19. dverna

dverna Active Member

Very impressive.

Will you need to screen for size?

Don Verna

20. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

Don,
    I do screen but there is very little reject, mostly if a dripper gets dirty and you have to fiddle with it you might get some goobers. I have sifting screens form McMaster-Carr and they are very consistent in size of mesh, I did a triple screening last night and there was not enough smaller size shot to warrant me worrying about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mcmastercarr shotmaking