1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CHINESE CARS TO BE SOLD IN NORTH AMERICA

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by The Stive, Jun 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Stive

The Stive Member

How long will it take for GM cars made in china to be sold in the USA? John

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    With some Fords being built in Canada and some GMs being built in Mexico, I don't know how anyone can complain if some Hondas are built in China.

Research the VIN country designations and investigate before buying. From any manufacturer.

3. porky

porky TS Member

I can't imagine trying to get parts for the chinese cars. You can't get parts for any of their small engines now.

4. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I've always liked GM vehicles, made my living working at GM dealerships, and thought they were the best!!!

Now I'm not so sure?

I never bought a new one, because I saw the problems with new models coming off the line.

But tell me this...........

In the late 40's we were spell-bound by the imported VW, and the VW Bus became a standard of the 60's hippie crowd.

In the late 60's, we started seeing Datsuns springing up like wildflowers, and my uncle loved his at 32 MPG, but could barely haul a bale of hay.

Then others jumped on the bandwagon with their imports, and then the Big 3 started importing some of their own to stay up with the times.

Buick bought Ople (sp) and put a metric trans in even their big cars(LeSabre) and what a nightmare that was!

So imports are nothing new, and as much as I don't like them, we are stuck with this now, so tell me, what has changed?

I realize that now, imports are being crammed down our throats, and leave us with smaller choices as consumers, but can we do anything to stop it?

If we vote with our pocketbooks, are we sure of what we are buying?

Just sayin.

PS..my first car was a 1958 Borgward bought in 1967 at a horse auction. It was built like a tank, low maintenance, good mileage, and I could hide 5 fifths of booze out of sight inside the vehicle!!!

5. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

They can try, like Korean cars did in the past 10 years.

Although I'll never buy them, but what I like about the Korean car is, they put pressures on other manufactories, Ford, GM, and Japanese manufactories can no longer take us for granted.

Again, I'll never buy them either, but I welcome Chinese or cars from India to compete with others, they will pressure other manufactories to make better cheap cars.

As of now, I'd rather shoot a H & R Topper than driving a Hyndai or Kia.

6. quartering

quartering Active Member

looks like the jazz runs about $3000/20% less than a fit

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
  8. Gold Medal

Gold Medal Member

Remember the Yugo? Nice quality, huh?

It was a cheaply priced car, built even cheaper by that bastion of quality manufacturers, soviet Yugoslavia.

The comics of the time said it looked as if it had been "built at gunpoint with a rear-window defogger that would keep your hands warm when you pushed it."

My point is price does not sell everYthing. Price and QUALITY will sell to a certain market.

I wouldn`t get nervous about chinese-built cars until their quality is proven, assuming it ever is.

A friend of mine ran a Buick dealership and had several Yugos in stock when they were as popular as Charles Manson at a police chief convention. He was able to get rid of them by giving one away to anyone who bought a new Buick Electra at window sticker.

9. oz

oz Active Member

I would guess chinese cars are here already. about a month ago the CEO of GM told an audience IN china that 70% of gm's products are made in china. I just read where someone with a 2011 mustang had just put in his 3rd transmission they were made in china.

10. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Half the cars sold in the US are owned by foreign companies. My 2011 silverado was built in Mexico or so it says. Labor unions and our government own GM. Things sure have changed haven't they?

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I believe the parts on made in the USA cars are designed to fail in about 50,000 miles. That's why their warranty was 3 years and 36,000 miles. Just think about all those starters, alternators, water pumps and power stering pumps you had to replace.

My Korean car, assembled in Mississippi, with a six speed Japanese transmission has a much better warranty. HMB

12. td_ict_ks

td_ict_ks TS Member

A good read if you are interested in this subject is American Wheels, Chinese Roads by Michael Dunne

13. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Volvo cars are now OWNED by China.

14. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

And all those Chinese cars are run with batteries full of lead that could have been made into shot but wasn't. More Chinese made cars, more batteries for them, less shot for trapshooters to break targets with...

15. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

Months ago I said here that Shanghai motors GM plant, bigger than GM has here,was built there with American stimulus money. Cadillac will be built there and it has become the vehicle of choice of the Chinese govt restricted to them and will be exported here in the US. Evidently, you didnt see the Grand Opening of that plant,bigger than presentations here.
    For you auto union guys, hows that sit with you? Oh,i have another comment about Chevrolet, how does it happen that a recall, a first recall covers 14,000,000, thats right,14 million cars all for the same problem Toyota has for cars made in 2009 to 2012. Lee

16. quartering

quartering Active Member

no comprendo: chevy is recalling 14 million cars or toyota is recalling 14 million cars?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.