1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

China's lead lust

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by moonpie, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moonpie

moonpie TS Member

Maybe now that we know why China has had such a lust for lead...to make cheap paint to poison our children....the price of shot will go down and our children can have a healthy future.

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

The Media is making a big whoopteedoo over this!

How is it that all us old pharts lived thru lead paint on our walls, tools, furniture, toys and lead in our gasoline?

Maybe because we didn't eat it????

What started all of this is that many years ago they discvered that kids were eating white paint chips that came loose...because white lead is sweet. Paint manufacturers had already stopped using white lead in paint long before that discovery....titanium white is cheaper, covers better and lasts longer.

Now the government in all it's wisdom then decided that all lead compounds are poison....even thogh they are insoluable in water. While they were at it, they also added all 'heavy metals'....just in case.

Now they are working on low VOC paints...if you paint your house with them, that will be 40% less volitale organic compounds given off! being matematically disfunctional, they ignore the fact that low VOC paints last about 3 years insted of around 20 years; so in effect, we produce about 300% more VOCs using the new paints!

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

You know, I have a doubt about this theory regarding the Chinese buying up all our lead and causing a spike in the price of it. A year or so ago, a gentleman who owns a handgun bullet manufacturing company told me that he obviously watches his material costs closely and he was getting his best price from vendors in China! Now, he reasoned, how can the Chinese be buying lead from us at the current inflated prices (don't forget, those price hikes affect them, too), transport it across the Pacific Ocean, sell it to him and ship that heavy stuff back for less than he can buy the same material for from an American source?

That doesn't make sense to me, either.

Ed

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

From Leno:

"Did you hear, China had to recall 150 tons of lead. Turns out it may have had toys in it"

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

DT- I have little concern about China starting a war with its major economic trading partner.

Pat Ireland

6. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

they are eating up all commodities. They are growing over 10% a year

7. doctordennis

doctordennis TS Member

ED How can the Chinese do that? The Chinese don't have unions!!!!

8. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

An attorney friend of mine showed me some kind of commodities report with regards to lead and the US ammo manufacurers.(Sorry I don't have it here)

It stated that the US manufacturers are producing...50 billion rounds of .223 cal. ammo per year, for the past few years. WOW!!!!

This ammo is not only for the USA's military, but for every allied country around the world.

I wonder what our Gov't pays for it. Would the price be similar to the $500 toilet seats and $100 hammers?

I would think that the artificial price increase could be contributed to the super inflated price that our country likes to pay the military vendors? And that the commodity brokers are just jumping on the gravy train?

Doug

9. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Avg. Ed,

What makes you think that China is actually doing all that shipping? Commodities transfer from point of origin all the time? Just another example of the world taking advantage of us gullible Yankees?

Kip

10. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Kip is probably right and they may be doing the smelting on a ship off shore.

11. airborne

airborne TS Member

Saw on the 10 o'clock news that there is a shortage of bullets for the milatry and police. I guess the chinks can't make them fast enough.

12. joshif

joshif TS Member

Just bend over and grab your knees, you are getting ******!

13. mtn

mtn TS Member

Key World Statistics 2003 (values shown in tones)
    Top Mining Countries

Australia 654,000

China 618,000

USA 464,000

Peru 308,000

Mexico 152,000

Largest Lead Producers

China 1,533,000

USA 1,338,000

Germany 352,000

UK 338,000

Australia 304,000