1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

China

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 391 shooter, Nov 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Just watched a video on Drudge of the Chinese testing launch and recovery of very large Jet aircraft(looks like a Souyuz)off their new air craft carrier.

They do not use a catapult to get airborn, but, use a long bow with a ramp to get airborn. Works pretty good via the video. Kind of like the British use on Jump jets but longer and not as much up angle.

They do use arresting cables like we do.

I guess this is to be expected with all the info Clinton and Obamy have sent them.

It is comming boys, just a matter of time.

2. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Isn't their "new" aircraft carrier an old Russian model from Ukraine?

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

It's Bush's fault.

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Yea, it's Russian.

5. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Eventually they will. But it'll take many years.

To make a functional battle group like any of ours, there're too many things involved, you'll need a whole fleet of supporting/protecting vessels/air coverage, including subs and complete first alert air support/satellites. Otherwise your carrier will be just a big floating target. Any enemy with short range missile (air or sea) lunching ability can take it down.

What happened to HMS Sheffield during Falkland conflict is an example of lack of sufficient first alert air support over the British fleet.

It'll will be many years.

6. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

But Steve W, we will have to increase defense spending now to keep up. We only have, I think, 11 carrier groups.

Rick, a "working example", it was made in the USSR, I would be afraid to get near it.

7. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

I can't wait to see how many Chinonautes it takes them to finally get a guy on the moon? Lord knows they will try many many many times.

8. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I guess they keep all the stuff that works over there, and send all the junk to us

9. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

391shooter

I also saw the Chinese jet carrier launch and noticed that it did not seem to use a catapult. Are you sure that the upward sloped ramp is significantly different then the British version?

I have some experience with US carrier launch and recover and i don't think that any of our current jet aircraft could launch in this way. Not enough initial thrust to get up to flying speed. You can be sure that a lot of US Navy guys are looking at the same video. If you can successfully take off a jet under a variety of operating conditions, without a catapult, it would make the building, operating and maintaining a carrier a much simpler job.

It's hard to believe that the same launch could be accomplished if the seas were 3-5' let alone 5-10', which we do all the time. While it was only a demonstration launch and recover, notice that the seas are very calm. Also, the pilot, probably because of the"pucker factor" grabs the #3 wire. A perfect landing uses the #2.

i wouldn't underestimate these guys, Just by observing our flight deck operations they have learned a lot and that gives them a head start if they really want to build more carriers which it is rumored they are doing. At the same time, it's pretty clear, as some on this thread have noted, big ships are relatively easy targets for some of today's anti-ship missiles. So much so, that I believe that if things ever got really sticky in the Persian Gulf, we would get our big ships well out of the Gulf and out to sea so that they had maximum sea room and response time.

Does anybody on this site have enough experience with modern military jets to know if we could reproduce this type of launch?

10. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

When I first saw the video clip, I was surprised to see they made such a big progress in such short period of time.

I don't know enough of aircraft lunching from the carrier to tell how is this possible, but I do know this:

Traditionally, Communist are known to produce optimistic (illusional) images for fluffing up their people's beliefs. It's not difficult when media and internet are under tight control. Remember when I was a kid, saw a photo in Time magazine of Chinese chairman Mao swimming in Yanze river with his closed hand (fist). LOL

So I wouldn't be surprised if this video clip was not entirely real.

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Keep in mind if they need the money we owe them to build another carrier..this might be their first and only for a looonnnngggg time

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The Brits went with the ramp for their carriers because the ramp worked out well in conjunction with the Harrier. This allowed a much shorter carrier to be built without using the complexity of a steam catapult.

The purpose driving this was pure economics. Britain was able to fund more carriers with the same amount of money by shortening them. Like the Chinese ramped carrier, this does restrict them to certain aircraft.

Our carriers are larger and can handle a wide variety of aircraft.

It remains to be seen if Chinese are going to eventually build fleet carriers, or stick to small carriers. They have enough shoreline to allow long range maritime aircraft patrols to cover the immediate area.

Another issue is that a carrier is no good by itself. It needs a lot of support ships to act as submarine and surface vessel screens, anti-aircraft and anti-missile defense, fueling, etc. The Chinese will have to greatly expand their navy if they make even a handful of carriers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

content