1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Chilled vs. Magnum Shot.....?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ted C., Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ted C.

Ted C. TS Member

Are there any real differences using magnum shot in place of chilled shot when
    reloading for target use? Some say/think that you will get a tighter pattern?
    If this is true, why a tighter pattern? Would that mean to open up the choke
    (from IM to M) to maintain the same pattern?

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Active Member

Ted, I've been told it opens a pattern quicker. Skeet shooters like to use chilled shot from time to time. Its as soft a shot as you can get. No antimony at all to speak of. Even the economy loads have 3 percent with the AA's and STS's having 6 percent antimony. They will break targets don't get me wrong, but just worth reloading unless you want to burn some cheap shot up in practice. First shot of doubles would be good place for it too. Hope this helps you out. Break-em all Jeff

3. Ross

Ross Active Member

Many good scores were shot with chilled shot, & they were before shot-cup type wads. I have used both & they both break targets just fine for me, I'm currently using re-claimed (for 16s & short HC) and it also does the job. I'm sure either will do just fine in todays 1pc. wads. Don't think I could tell any difference if I just shot some shells & was asked what was in them. Ross Puls

4. 870

870 Active Member

I use magnum, but I'll bet there isn't much difference in performance if you really get into it.

5. Dr A C Jones

Dr A C Jones Member

Over the range of typical percentage antimony, more antimony gives tighter patterns when using tight chokes. The graph above shows how much the pellets deformed in a pellet crusher, and the their tight pattern performance. The graph shows there's a pretty good correlation bewteen measured pellet hardness and pattern performance. The hardest pellets had 5-6& antimony and the softest 2-3% (claimed - not verified). Interestingly, pellets with 7% claimed antimony were softer than some others with claimed 5%. The proof is really in the testing.

If you plug the numbers from the graph into the Pattern Optmiser you can see what the change in probability of striking a clay is; it's not much, but enough to make a difference in the long run.

Andrew.

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The only time I've ever noticed a degredation in the shot pattern using chilled shot is for the faster 'caps/sporting loads. Anything faster than 1200fps and the pattern starts to fall apart at distance. My 'caps and sporting loads all use magnum shot. Everything else uses chilled.

ss

7. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

IS THE SOUTH AMERICAN SHOT COMPARABLE TO CHILLED EVEN THOUGH IT SAYS MAGNUM?

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The stuff I've sampled is pretty soft. I believe it was "Eagle" brand. It works well enough for singles/doubles/skeet. I don't like the way it performs in my 1235fps shells that I use in 'caps and sporting. I generally only use Lawrence or Remington magnum shot for those loads.

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.