1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Chilled Shot VS. Magnum Shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nate4364, Apr 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nate4364

nate4364 Member

Hey guys: I picked up some chilled lawrence shot at a really cheap price. Is it hard enough to have success with 16yd. singles? Don't plan on shooting caps with it, so the only real concern would be singles. Should I shoot it for practice only, or sell it? Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
    Nate

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Active Member

You'll never notice any difference! You did good!

Keller

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Active Member

Nate: If I knew where you lived and it was close enough; I would buy it. Chilled shot will work fine for all 16 yard shooting as well as handicap. When shooting beyond 22 yards one might want to use magnum shot. Anyway, you do your part and the chilled shot will "break 'em" all. Good Luck. Ed

4. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Good deal. I haven't seen chilled shot sold in years. You had the option years ago.

5. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I bought a bunch of it off of a trap shooter's widow. It worked great in my 12 ga. loads for recreational stuff. Past 40 yards on the sporting course I could start to see the difference in breaks. You reach a point of diminishing returns in choking down the really soft shot.

In my 28 ga...a whole 'nother story. The difference of the effect of setback on shot deformation in a 9000PSI 12 ga. load and a 12500PSI 28 ga. load was dramatic as evidenced on the grease plate. Patterns with the chilled shot in the 28 were horrible, inconsistent, ragged. Switching back to magnum shot in the 28 and...poof...my baby was back.

6. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

its mental,,

7. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

I go with the mental comment. I have shot both over the years without thinking about what sack of shot I pulled from the pile by brand or antimony content. If I did my part targets broke all the way back to the fence and on to the pourch. Head Down and Keep Swinging.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.