1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chili Cookers! OT/ and it's not Politics!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trapshootin hippie, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Secret???? A fat greasy possum, for starters.

Gne J

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I can't give you a recipe but I can sure tell you how to make it disappear. Bulge.

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Groundhog chili is not bad if you simmer the meat about 3 days with onion and celery before you add the spices.

My favorite chili recipe uses 2 pounds very lean ground beef, 2 envelopes French’s Chili-O seasoning, 1 pound sliced mushrooms, three stalks celery diced, 5 garlic cloves minced, 1 large onion sliced, 1 green pepper diced, 4 fresh tomatoes diced, ½ teaspoon black pepper, I table spoon salt, pinch of ground cumin, ¼ cup white sugar, 4 cans light red kidney beans, 2 cans Hunts tomato sauce, ½ cup Heinz ketchup and 1 quart water or tomato juice.

My wife cannot eat hot chili. If the chili is for my daughter and me only, I add a medium pinch of cyanine pepper.

After the chili is cooked in a large stock pot, I cook up a pound of spaghetti and mix with the chili. I also add about ½ pound of Kraft American cheese and melt into the chili.

This is a good meal for four hungry deer hunters.

Yum, Yum, Yum!

Ed Ward

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Si’s Chili

Ingredients

• 1 pound diced pork butt

• 1 ½ pounds coarse ground beef chuck

• 1 finely chopped onion

• 3 finely chopped garlic cloves

• 2 piece of bacon cut crosswise into pieces

•2 cans of pinto or red kidney beans

• 1 ½ teaspoons of dried crushed oregano

• 1 ½ teaspoons of paprika

• 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground pepper

• 3 cups of water or 2 cans of beer

• Coarse salt

• 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
    • 2 tablespoons of chili powder
    •2 cans of pinto or red kidney beans
    • 3/4 cup of Monterey Jack Cheese or cheddar (shredded)

Directions
    Begin by cooking the bacon in a chili pot over medium heat until browning happens, add the beef and pork, cook until the meat starts to brown. Begin to add the onion, garlic, paprika, pepper, oregano, cumin, beans and salt into the chili pot. Stir this mixture occasionally for about 10-15 minutes. It is good to mash up the beans a bit.
    Begin to reduce the heat and keep stirring until the chili become thick. If you find that your chili is a bit dry you can add water to make it most again as well as many spices to jazz it up! Start serving your winter chili and dress up each bowl with some cheddar cheese.

5. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Add red ants to make it hotter in a different way. Formic acid from the red ant is a food spice. Formicia is the word for ant in Latin. Organic ingredients in this case work well. Also add beer vs. water for a more mellow and fuller flavor. I did not learn this from Julia Child or from any other ex-CIA employee.

6. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

My favorite ingredient to add to chili is Kickapoo Joy Juice!

Happy eating!

LA

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The secret:

Bowl of Red chili powder.

Best blend of spices out there. abut 12 bucks a pound and worth it.

NE Wisconsin, in the stores. Mail order from Badger Wholesale in Green Bay.

Once you have the powder you can take it in any direction, and they give you a recipe too.

And if you're nice to me I'll send you my recipe.

HM

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Halfmiler has one of the best chili ree-cipes I've ever tasted!! Thanks again A. Hap

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I was the cook at the firehouse, so I cannot give out any of my secrets when it comes to cooking ... These are the only things that are more guarded and much better than the recipe for Kentucky Fried Chicken ... There isn't anything I can't cook, but making in Peking Duck I almost burned down the Firehouse one time because we got a call and the oven got turned from 350 to broil by a guy thinking he turned it off ... The new kitchen looked great and was a lot nicer than the old one ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. crusha

crusha TS Member

Burned down the firehouse making Peking Duck...that headline would get laminated and posted.

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have made many different chile recipes but one of the easiest and pretty damned good is a can of Nalley Jalapena chile with some cummin and chile powder added to taste. I think you could win a contest with it even though it is canned and ready made ( almost) Makes a quick meal

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

buzz-gun,

We had a treat and ordered out from the rib joint down the street that day ... The Chief was not pleased but he liked the new kitchen also, I guess you had to be there ... The duck was about the size of a Dove when it got all burned up and blackened ... lol ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. laura!

laura! Member

Secret ingredient: canned pumpkin. Makes a hearty chili with a subtle difference that no one can figure out.

Cook peppers, garlic, onions and ground meat (I prefer venison but turkey or beef works well)

Add can of pumpkin, can of tomatoes, cup chicken broth, 2 cans of beans and spices (1 1/2 T chili powder, 1 T cumin, red pepper and salt to taste)

Simmer for 30 minutes.

For an interesting variation with a middle eastern twist omit the garlic, cumin, red pepper and salt, use 1T chili powder, 1T pumpkin pie spice and 1/4 c sugar.

14. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Before internet and being in a starving college student mode I tried to make chili myself without instructions or recipe. Ground beef in an old Rival Crock pot with a coulple of cans of beer and tomato sauce. I wasn't sure if one can of chili powder was enough so I put in another 1/2 can. I thought I was going to die. Now eat wife's chili and it is much safer. One of my friends told me if you are going to be dumb you gotta be strong.

15. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Charlie, based on your chili cooking experience, you may want to limit yourself to new shells.

Only joking.

Ed Ward

16. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

Now I know. No Texans on Trapshooter.com. Not one recipe for road kill chili. gyrine

17. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Ed, I do favor new shells but I have reloaded for years. In reloading , if it aint in the book , I don't cook. I now limit my cooking to cereal, breakfast and food I can "nuke" in the microwave.

Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.