1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chicago pol chief: Officers will shoot CHL holders

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Brian in Oregon, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/01/chicago-police-chief-well-shoot-licensed-civilians-with-guns/

During an interview on radio station WVON 1690 am this week Chicago’s Police Chief Gary McCarthy surprised listeners when he commented on the upcoming concealed carry law that must be passed in Illinois within the next six months. McCarthy made a scary prediction that citizens carrying legally could be shot by Chicago police.

News in Black reported, via Guns Save Life:

“You put more guns on the street expect more shootings,” McCarthy said. “I don’t care if they’re licensed legal firearms, people who are not highly trained… putting guns in their hands is a recipe for disaster. So I’ll train our officers that there is a concealed carry law, but when somebody turns with a firearm in their hand the officer does not have an obligation to wait to get shot to return fire and we’re going to have tragedies as a result of that. I’m telling you right up front.”

McCarthy would not say what specific training officers will undertake if any. However, he did admit that in the past his department has made mistakes in shooting unarmed civilians. He believes the concealed carry law will increase those types of unfortunate incidents.

2. 548

548 Guest

First of all, what additional training would you people expect? Police are already trained to "visually identify" a threat to themselves or others and to take appropriate action when necessary. What exactly do you expect officers to do differently?

Every year there are several plain clothes officers killed by friendly fire because of the absence of the easily recognizable uniform. This is extremely tragic, but it is an understandable risk associated with plain clothes drug cops and detectives.

If cops are routinely shooting cops, you are insane if you don't think it will or does happen to good samaritans as well. CCW holders have the ability to do some good things in society, no question about that, but the decision to carry does not come without great responsibility and risk.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

"YOU People?????" In case anybody needs reminding,..part of CHL training is how to handle situations where situational interactions with law enforcement occurs..we know what to do when carrying and dealing with greeting a LEO...in a place that has never known CCW like Obamaville..The officers definantly DO need to know what to do ..the fact that this Chiefs guys have shot unarmed people more than just once in a very great while under very odd/difficult circumstances doesnt say much for them does it? ...I'm sure up there in Commieland by the lake, that whenever a distress call comes in placed by and concerns a CCL holder..their officer will already know that somebody onsite is packing...sheeshhh!

4. 548

548 Guest

Ok, Calvin, what should the cops do differently? We aren't talking about the actions of or the training received by CCW holders. We are talking about a cop walking around the corner and seeing a plain clothes person standing in a shooting stance pointing a gun at another person. Remember, there are no time outs for the cops to see which guy is the good guy and which guy is the bad guy.

Calvin, what law enforcement training do you propose that will save that CCW holder from certain death when the officer uses deadly force to save the guy being drawn down on by the CCW holder?

5. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

While I may not speak for all of "you people", but:
    For additional training of LEO how about adding to their repertoir that when they determine that a handgun is present it is NOT automatically a hostile life-or-death situation that they will probably need to shoot their way out of. The new training is mainly re-education for officers to recognize that now the good guys may be carring firearms too, when up to this time they were given cart blanche to react agressively to the presence of a handgun.
    dju

6. Jeffnet

Jeffnet TS Member

All that is required is the use of Common Sense....

7. 548

548 Guest

DJU, you're right, the "you people" came across badly. I think it stems from my tenure in the political section where I routinely battled the masses; sorry about that everybody.

DJU, please describe the training you would provide that would avert the wrong guy being shot in my example. There is no law enforcement training that will save that conceal carry citizen from being shot by the cop. The Chicago Chief is correct, more guns absolutely will result in more shootings, some good shoots, some not. That's just the way it is and there is no magic bullet to fix it.

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

548. Will you shoot me if I have a Kimber pepper gun in my hand?

how about a 870? or perhaps a 1100 with the plug out?

Truth is that the chicago chief is attemping to intimidate CC to NOT carry. He fails to acknowledge the reality of actual gun threats by those that might take thier life

9. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Lets see,

Chicago, gangs doing most of the killings

Raub Emmual, Potentate in charge(mayor)

Gary McCarthy, appointed or elected Idiot in Chief.

All are more then likely "Crooks"

Anyone not understand why they don't trust Honest Citizens??

Don't mind 548 he is just trying to impress himself with "what if" scenarios!

If you know there are a lot of CCP carriers in your area, YOU'D better be training your LEO's the difference between "good" guys versus "bad" guys.

Just seen McCarthy on TV, looks, acts, talks like a "affirmative action" appointee!!! WOW!

10. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I personally know several LEO types that are TS.com'ers. I find it interesting that they resist the likely urge to comment on the speculations and BS of the uninitiated.

The VAST majority of us have NO clue.

Guy Babin

11. 548

548 Guest

Is the Chief trying to intimidate concealed carry holders into not carrying? MIA, I think you have a pretty strong argument that he is. I agree with him, however. Let's get away from the cop-vs-cch for a minute. The issue to cops, me at least, isn't that our job is more dangerous because of cch. I have been dealing with cch for many years and never had a bad experience with one. The message I want concealed carry holders to understand is that when you face a situation where you decide to take action with your weapon, a responding officer or one that just happens to turn the corner to see the first shots fired isn't privy to all the observations the cch had prior to taking action. The cop just sees a person in the process of killing another person and his job is to end the threat; he doesn't know the guy being shot is the bad guy and the shooter is the good guy because his eyes are telling him differently.

Do I think legal gun owners should be able to carry a concealed weapon with the appropriate training? YES. Do I want concealed carry holders to understand ALL the risks and responsibilities placed upon them when they choose to carry? Absolutely my point. And I think it is the point the Chief was trying to make as well.

12. Garry

Garry Active Member

BrownST100,

The Chicago police chief was quoted as saying: "So I’ll train our officers that there is a concealed carry law, but when somebody turns with a firearm in their hand the officer does not have an obligation to wait to get shot to return fire ---."

Turning with a firearm in their hand is very different than pointing a handgun at a LEO.

I was trained to identify myself, order everyone to put down their weapon(s), order everyone to back away from all weapon(s) and then order them to get into the prone X position face down.

13. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Ith TWUW! Ith TWUE! It happens all the time! Legal concealed carriers see a cop and they just whip out their roscoe and draw down on him or her with the attendant tragic results. Of course the reverse is NEVER true. You never hear of a cop shooting down some innocent. Never? No, never. NEVER? Well, hardly ever.

14. BT99

BT99 Member

I retired as a LEO after almost 30 years and I must say that Police Chief gives a new meaning to the word "Stupid". I really think they are afraid to go out and deal with the gang element.

15. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I read that deal yesterday of what the chief said. There is nothing for me to do in Chicago anyway. Been there once in the airport, that was enough for me. Maybe, because of the chief, is why they call it the windy city. Hell, I've got enough wind here.

16. Remdog1187

Remdog1187 Well-Known Member

Sounds like Gary McCarthy has leveled a veiled threat. Also seems like he's uniquiely unqualified to maintain his position.

17. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

One thing is a fact he has failed in his job so miserably that it is obvious he has no clue. Fire him and hire someone with a pair of balls to clean up the hell hole called Chicago. Many cities have ccl and have zero accidental murders by officers. In fact the chances of an officer killing a law abiding citizen with a concealed weapon are a billion times less than that same citizens chances of being killed simply walking across the street after dark in Chithole. If every law abiding citizen in Chicago carries a weapon you will see the murder rates drop drastically of law abiding citizens. Let the gang bangers wipe each other out. They are doing our legal system and the taxpayers in Illinois a huge favor. When politicians and people in power act concerned for your saftey they are really concerned that they are losing power.

18. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

The Chicago C.O.P. Is a Dirt Bag politican just like the rest of the political bosses in that Scum sucking rectile orfice of a town!.--They should have left the place in ashes and ruins after the Fire! It is full of gangs, druggies, lowlifes, and crooked scum sucking politicans! I know several that have left it and many more decent people flee from that place each day! Mccarthy cares about "NOTHING", but his political asperations! He ( like all liberal dirt bags) "HATES" the idea of honest citizens defending themselves!

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    *THE* issue here is the Chicago Chief of Police is delivering a threat to concealed handgun owners by giving his officers carte blanche approval to shoot concealed handgun permit holders. This is outrageous behavior by an official of the government who is supposed to protect law-abiding citizens, not advocate killing them.

20. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

He's "telling us right up front"...What a freakin' JOKE.
    This guy is a documented failure.
    I couldn't help but notice, he didn't provide any examples of cities where a concealed carry law is already in place and law enforcement have been experiencing an increase in the need to shoot legally armed citizens.
    I would suggest that the documented record of crime in general in Chicago, and murder specifically excludes him as having anything credible to say that doesn't involve the phrase: "I'm not qualified to be in law enforcement at this level and as a service to the people resigning".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.