1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chicago Gun Ban--Need Info

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Jim Porter, Jun 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I have been away from the news for a day or two and a friend said that Chicago was trying to ban guns. This is not a troll! What if anything is going on??

2. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

City of Chitcaqo already bans handguns, most semi-auto long guns and other stuff for "citizens". superior court recently upheld this after an NRA lawsuit following the Heller decision. Interestingly, Da mayor and councilmen are exempt and, I believe, can carry concealed. (Wonder how they can get around state law).

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

As members of the city council are considered officers of the law. The city had a ban on all handguns and automatic weapons. Don't get caught with out a hand gun in many parts of the city.

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

For clarification, the city required handgun registration. If I recall, in 1984 the city ended the ability to register new handguns, but existing registered handguns are legal to own within the city.

I believe city residents can own semi-auto long guns.

Jay

5. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

I really wish folks would refer to the actual laws on postings like this -- it's really easy to find this stuff on the internet now... Everything that you need to know about Chicago's guns laws is published as a part of their municipal code. You can view (and search against) Chicago's municipal code at the link I provided above. The "gun ban" is in Chapter 8-20. I put quotes around "gun ban" because it's not really a direct ban on owning handguns or "assault weapons" -- the city ordinance actually just requires that all guns be registered, the "catch" being that certain types of firearms can no longer be registered (i.e., handguns and "assault weapons", there's a list) after the ordinance was adopted. So, some people can actually own a handgun legally in Chicago if they owned it prior to the passing of the gun ban. Onwership of long guns is still legal as long as you are able to register them. How this stuff cannot violate the 2nd Ammendment is beyond me.

Anyway, Chicago guns laws suck. You can find all the info you want in their municipal code, which is surprisingly easy to read for legal garbage, so take a gander.

Link didn't work as posted... try this one:

Chicago Municipal Code

--Dan

6. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

I know that after the Heller decision Wilmette and/or Winetka had their gun laws dropped. Why has Chicago been able to escape this?
    -Trappy

7. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Because they're arguing that the Second Amendment only constrains the Federal Government, and doesn't apply to the states, Trappy. (The Supreme Court's Heller decision concerned the federal District of Columbia.)

Appellate Courts have come down on both sides of the issue.

8. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

The Second Amendment is an individual right; i.e., the people; others say it's a state right. Original intent, in my opinion, gave the right to the people, whether Chicago wants to admit it or not, to own a handgun. Handguns were indeed around at the passage of the Constitution. Not to put the cart before the horse, the 2nd Amendment does entitle the state to form a militia but in order to do so, they were formed with individuals who were already armed. The armed individual made up the militia. Chicago has infringed upon the Second Amendment which infringes on all the people. BT-100dc

9. PAPAJAY

PAPAJAY TS Member

June 22,2009 Rally at the Daly Center in Chicago Supporting the 2nd Ammendment

and supporting a Concealed carry law in Illinois...

10. bocephus

bocephus Member

trappy gonna attend?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.