1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chicago Grand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by illiniphil, Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. illiniphil

illiniphil Member

Does anyone know the shooting schedule for the Chicago Grand in July. It's not on the club's website and I called the club and the guy that answered had no information.

Also, are there any good campgrounds in the area. There are a number that are shown on the web, but was wondering if there was one that someone could recommend thru personal knowledge.

Thanks!

2. illiniphil

illiniphil Member

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Don,t you love it when you call a Club long Distance and get a skeet shooter .

4. illiniphil

illiniphil Member

5. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Yes I do love it.

What is wrong with a Skeet Shooter?

Ronbo

6. Tatanka Donk

Tatanka Donk Active Member

All those guy's and girl's were at the Illinois State shoot last week. Someone will answer you soon. Don

7. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Not to be nit-picky, but it's actually the Grand Chicago.

8. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

So where in the H&!! is it and what is the program?

9. illiniphil

illiniphil Member

Its at the Downers Grove Sportsmans Club which ironically is not located in Downers Grove. It is in Morris, IL. I wish I knew the program...that's what I'm looking for and also a decent place to camp. Hello, is anyone out there. Also Shotshell, it is called the Chicago Grand on the club's website...not the Grand Chicago. I don't care what it's called, I just want to shoot the event. :)

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

illiniphil Just a little patiences. You just want to shoot it, getting upset with those here that might be able to help you won't get you anywhere.

If you can find the clubs website then you should know that this is not an ATA satellite Grand this is a club event. If you can go to the clubs website click on Officers and Directors. Then scroll down to the email address look for Shotgun Sports Director click on the email address listed there and ask him what you want to know. If he cares about his position and his club he should get you the information you are seeking.

That is of course if you don't take the same attitude as you have shown here. If you do I certainly hope he tells you in no uncertain term just how nice you are.

I figure if you were capable of using some common sense you might have been able to figure this out for yourself. Now you have a nice day.

BTW judging by your handle I would say you come from IL yet I live in MA and have to give you contact information what a country....LOL

Bob Lawless

11. Harv Shell

Phil, no offense intended. The Grand Chicago is a very old shoot with a lot of history, originated at Northbrook Sports Club I believe. There used to be a large crystal trophy given every year in honor of Art Wegner for the final handicap champion. When Northbrook stopped hosting the shoot, I think 2006, Downers Grove hosted the shoot and the Art Wegner trophy was co-sponsored by Downers Grove and Northbrook. The shoot is now moved around from club to club in the Northern zone, but the Art Wegner trophy tradition has not been carried on, it's a shame to lose those bits of history and the remembrance of Mr. Wegner. If the DGSC website shows it as the Chicago Grand, it's wrong. There are many others who know the history much better than I and can correct my mistakes, but I thought you deserved some sort of answer. Harv Shell.

12. illiniphil

illiniphil Member

I guess these threads are like e-mail, people can't see what's in your heart when someone writes something. Mr. Lawless, I can assure you that I did not write anything with any negativity or "attitude". I was just writing. I thought the smiley face :) would show that I had no ill-intent as I am not that type of person.

For the record, I already had done what you suggested, I just didnt feel it was necessary for me to document all of my efforts on the thread. With all of that, I do appreciate you taking the time to try and help me obtain the information I was looking for and once again, to all who have read my post, I apologize if I gave the impression of having an attitude.

13. illiniphil

illiniphil Member

Thank you for the information Shotshell, I appreciate it.

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

illiniphil

"For the record, I already had done what you suggested, I just didnt feel it was necessary for me to document all of my efforts on the thread."

Phil just so you might understand that statement if you look at it in another way. If you had documented all of your efforts on the thread those that might try other ideas that you haven't tried first instead of trying them last. If that makes any sense to you.

If not, try this meaning they would be looking in different sources than you have already tried.

Bob Lawless

15. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The Chicago Grand originated at the Lincoln Park Traps, not the Northbrook Sports Club. I'm not sure of the year. Probably in the 60's.

16. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

The crystal trophy is engraved "Grand Chicago Handicap" "Art Wegner Championship Trophy". I am currently looking at the 2006 trophy and it has the Northbrook Sportsmen's Club logo on it. It was won at Downers Grove Sportsmen's Club in 2006.

17. Palos shooter

Palos shooter Active Member

The Chicago grand Handicap was originally from Lincoln Park traps.I remember shooting for it in 1970s.It was a traveling trophy that you got to keep for the year and then return it back to the club.It was a silver and had places to have the winners name ingraved on it.I think the original silvertrophy was never returned by one of the winners.When the Chicago Mayor closed the place up the shoot was moved to Northbrook Sportsman Club.I guess by then it was failing for lack of promoting it, and Downers Grove took it over.This is the best I can remember from 40 years ago.

18. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

It's July 17 & 18.

Downers is a fine club, and they throw good targets.

19. Harv Shell

Thanks Eddie, I thought it was 06. Downers did pay for 1/2 the trophy cost, as agreed with John Teschky from Northbrook and the lovely Judy Wegner when we agreed to host the shoot. Harv.

20. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The Chicago Grand was moved to Northbrook because you weren't allowed to shoot shells with plastic wads at Lincoln Park, and Ljutic monowads weren't very good at handicap distances. I believe it was first shot at Northbrook in 1978. I have a participation pin for the Chicago Grand at Northbrook for that year which I still wear on my vest for decoration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

grand chicago trap

ljutic monowads