1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

chicago 2016 olymics????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gethenet10, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gethenet10

gethenet10 TS Member

If Chicago is awarded the Olympics in 2016 were would they hold the shooting events.Would they build some thing and then tear it down.Is there an existing club that would host such an event?

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

too bad Lincoln park is no more, and sparta is 6 hrs away

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

The shooting venue would not be in Chicago itself, but I would imagine that if awarded, an existing facility would take Olympic monies to remodel and expand if required or the state would probably build a new venue and convert to a public range after the event.

1.5 hours south of Chicago is ISRA range for rifle. There are any number of clubs within, an hour or two of Chicago that could offer skeet. Is there still an international trap event?!

Jay

4. Baber

Baber TS Member

The only problem is keeping it open after the Olympics. The facility in Atlanta has been closed and the one built for the 84 Olympics was built in a 10 years flood containment area and has been flooded numerous times.

Yes there is still a Trap event both Singles and Doubles.

TB

5. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

I would imagine that the gun friendly state of Illinois would help them out and offer to pay a little to transport any and all shooters to a range in either Wisconsin or Indiana.

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

There are a few clubs within the burbs that would be happy to host part of or all of the shooting venue. Northbrook, Maywood, Naperville, Antioch, Pell Lake, just to name a few.

7. JOND

JOND TS Member

Trapshooters will probably be surprised to know that The Grand was held several years on the southside of Chicago at the South Shore Country Club! The shot went into Lake Michigan! I believe this was in the 1920's or 1930's. JOND

8. spitter

Naperville will have to pass, 'cause as a 3-trap public range we'll have to keep a trap or two open for the public (lol).

Jay

9. spitter

Actually, I was thinking about that "Aurora" project out by Waterman, IL. If the money was there - boy that might be a nice kicker to help develop their project and keep it on track.

Jay

10. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Also the Pan Am games were held there twice. Reverend Zara didja ever get to shoot there? It was such a nice place to shoot! And on a warm summer day the "scenery" was pretty spectacular. Ah, the good old days... It's going to be 50 tomorrow, want to come out and shoot? Rick Gibbs

11. Doctor_Chicago

Doctor_Chicago Member

I have seen the actual presentation of the 2016 Olympic for Chicago all of the really neat stuff is near downtown. The gun events will be located one County North at Lake County Illinois. It will then be use for police training afterwards.

They may change that...

12. LSP 972

LSP 972 TS Member

"Under developed, economically challenged, police training..."

Sounds like a live-fire training area, to me...

13. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Zara sorry to hear about the flu, we had a good time today, shot singles, handicap, and some games. Good shootin' weather. Then snow, ice and cold again. Lincoln Park was just a fun place to shoot. I shot there also at Whiting GC on the Lake. Shot the police olympics there for several years, then out to Palos and that didn't last long. We are having a ham/turkey shoot on the 16th, along with a whole boy scout troop camped out at the club that weekend. Should be fun. Maybe see you there! RLG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.