1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chiappa firearms???????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dave P, Oct 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Has anyone shot any of these firearms. They have good appearances but that means nothing when it comes to shooting. They're certainly not budget busters.

2. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Banned User Banned

I bought a puma .22 1911 a little while ago. Pretty good gun but it has some feeding problems I think its. because of the cheap plastic clip. BYG

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I remember this from their Middletown SASS shoot... ;-)

[​IMG]

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

"Boy, it couldn't be any hooter - HOTTER, out here, could it? Whew..."

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The Chiappa AR15 .22LR upper is made from plastic, and feedback from some users has indicated reliability issues. If you want a dedicated .22 LR upper, made from metal (actual AR15 upper), CMMG is priced about the same and is reliable and accurate.

They do have some interesting looking old west reproductions, but I know zilch about them.

6. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Bought an 1874 Sharps - had to send it back three times and still wasn't right. Sold it.

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Brian is correct regarding the M4-22LR Upper.

I bought a couple to have the local law enforcement armors test in their firing range at the Police Department.

Right out of the box they refused to shoot more than two rounds in succession. We tried every kind of 22LR ammo, but nothing worked. So, I shipped them back for warranty repair.

Took and arm and a leg to get them back in just under 6 weeks. I talked to them at length attempting to explain that I had the opportunity to sell the PD around 20 of these. All the PD vehicles have DPMS AR's in them and they have to train with them. The head armorer/instructor shoots on my trap team, is a close friend, and he hates cleaning the DMPS 223 barrels before they can be put back into service. Hence their desire for the 22LR uppers. He could clean them at his leisure and have the DMPS AR's right back in service as the officers left the range with the 223 uppers installed.

Got them back, then the recoil spring & rod clips broke. They shipped me some to fix here at the shop. Then a rod pulled off again on the other upper and badly bent the recoil spring. Took three weeks to get a replacement spring.

Then my own upper broke part of the bolt off. They sent me a replacement to install myself under warranty.

We shipped these guns to them several times. Now they have a third warranted upgraded bolt assembly and seem to work OK. Unfortunately, the PD will not buy them after all our problems.

I also asked about simply installing the guts of the uppers in genuine aluminum uppers. Ordered in an RRA, after being told my Chiappa it would work. It didn't work.

Ironically, they are nice folks to talk to, but their service repair time is lengthly and I have to assume it's because they are doing lots of it.

IMHO.

WW

8. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I owned one of their 1911 22's long enough to realize I most likely wouldn't own another one of their guns.

9. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I have a 1911. Only shot a few hundred through it, but it rarely gets through a magazine without jamming. Maybe 1 in 10 can get through cleanly. Still trying different ammo etc. Pretty expensive single shot.

10. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thanks, all I need to know.

11. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I do know that their 1911 clones in .22 are trash. I wouldn't take one free.

12. jsteenson

jsteenson Member

I have a 1911,22 cal. it it feeds ok with the plastic magazine but the 100lb. trigger pull is a little heavy. I boughtit because it was cheap and fun and that is what I got. If you want quality,spend the money. thesae are very nearly free. Jack

13. mbm5770

mbm5770 Member

I'll take two if they throw her in for free with the deal

14. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

For Xmas last year I bought myself an 1874 Sharps Creedmore that was imported and warranteed by Chiappa (actual sale was from Bud's/Cimarron) - great looking gun but the bolt (loading block) was jammed in the receiver and would not retract enough to clear the chamber or come all the way out for cleaning. Cimarron referred me to Chiappa. They were friendly and I talked them into letting me drop the gun off in Dayton. Got it back a month later with the left side of the receiver scratched all to hell, dings in the buttstock and forend and the bolt still wouldn't come out of the gun. Took it back, had to wait until the QC guy got back from Italy and they took my very nice wood, repaired the damage and put it on another gun. Got it back and found a thumb size blemish in the bbl blueing. Back to them again. They "handpicked" a new one, put my wood on it and sent it out. Everything looked good except the Creedmore sight was crooked and the set trigger adjusting screw didn't adjust anthing at all. I gave up - sold it at a loss.

15. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Their website would have you believe they build FN quality guns....good to know it's all a ruse...

Ron Burr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.