1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chevy Volt=failure

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by 635 G, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

In my opinion, the chevy volt will be one of the best examples on how not to make a car that the public will want.-Its basically the same car as a chev cruze with a 17k price bump including Obama's 7.5k tax credit. It only has 100 mile range. Its designed for mostly city dwellers. Guess what, most city dwellers don't have garages. Where the hell are they going to plug it in? Couldn't use to go to the GRand or the Cardinal Classic. It is a totally worthless vehicle for the $$$$, Government Motors at its best. Cost 81k to build, & sells for 41k,lose 40k per vehicle-way to go!!

Phil Berkowitz

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Huh, I wonder what the engine is for? I also have an extension cord.

ss

3. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

It's a greeny, feel-good car. Your are supposed to overlook all its shortcomings in the name of saving the environment, whales, spotted owls, etc.

Do your part and just buy one, dammit!

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

The marketplace will soon tell us if the Chevy Volt is a success or a failure. At $41,000 it is IMO a large risk for the average working family.

If you have an extra $41,000 to spend and like new things, the Volt may be of interest.

For under $20,000 you can get several small cars with over 30 MPG. For under $40,000 you can get a small BMW or Mercedes.

$41,000 is a tall order for an introductory car with unproven technology.

Did not GM recently announce an increase in the Volt's production schedule? Maybe they know something or they received "guidance" from the true owners of GM to make the President look good before the November elections.

Ed Ward

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Phil:

Take a happy pill...

This is not the end-all, be all vehicle. Its designed for the monied, urban dweller who can afford to be on the leading edge of an innovative form of transportation... within a highly defined radius from home.

Look at Hybrids. 1st ones were very expensive and small, but the cost and technology has become more mainstream - still a cost advantange to gas. But you can now get light and full-size SUVs as hybrids. No mpg advantage on highways - they're all about lower speed city driving.

smile a bit, you'll feel better...

Jay

6. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Don't worry about sales. If there's a problem, the federal government will just mandate that you buy one.

7. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

I want to see the electric rig thats going to replace the 18 wheeler's

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Electric cars? Good idea or bad idea?

Only time will tell.

But, in my opinion, doing something to reduce the US consumption of oil bought from countries that don't like us can only be a good thing.

Electric cars charged by electricity that comes from nuclear power plants? Hmmm.

Of course, this could also have unintended consequences. Less air pollution, less use of foreign oil, but what about the batteries? What is the so-called "carbon footprint" of making, transporting, and disposing of the batteries? Dunno...

As far as range, I drive a car 10 miles to work and 10 miles back home every day, and such a car might be perfect for that kind of service.

If it weren't so damned expensive.

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Timb99 ... just wait a year or two ... there will be plenty of them on the used car market, dumped by disappointed former owners.

:)

10. skeet100

skeet100 Member

So the enviroment is better building all these batteries and having to generate all this power to charge the batteries????

I just have a small home and drive a 4 cylinder... It is comfortable and works good for me... and I do my best to make my stuff last so I don't have to junk it... oh crap... that is using common sense... well now that won't work... :)

11. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

With are taxes we are all going to help out the buyers of these cars. Like we do now with homeowners wanting to green up their houses or their appliances. Liberal Democrats are so free with other people's money(u.s. national debt clock). Preparing the way for the new energy taxes they want. Liberals are so dumb.

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Sure makes sense to me! Burn a crapload of Coal, oil, or natural gas to generate enough electricity to charge one of these up. Sounds like the pollution was just moved elsewhere. Like eating four monster burgers and paying some skinny kid in India to eat a salad for you. Think they once called them "offsets".

Be the first one on your block to own one of these.

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

"...Sounds like the pollution was just moved elsewhere..."

Sort of, but not exactly. In reality, there is less "air" pollution because power plants operate much more efficiently than your average car engine which means on an equivalent output basis, they pollute less.

At peak efficiency (which is almost never) a car engine is AT BEST about 25% efficient.

Power plants operate at about 30% to as much as 50% efficiency, depending on the type.

And if its nuclear...well, there's not much pollution coming out of them on a day-to-day basis. Spent fuel is another story, for a different day.

14. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

I drive an electric flatbed at work all night long. Electric cars are going to happen. Who will lead the way?

Rich in Indiana

15. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Let it happen by the market not by the government. We shouldn't subsidize the purchase of these cars. Taking money from the middle class to help a few rich yuppies buy green cars to show their friends how environmentally correct they are. They look real cute parked next to their large SUV's in front of their big yuppy house.

16. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

Wonder how long the batteries last in these things?

Also, what does it cost to replace the batteries when they do crap out??

Regards, Pete

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Claydotter

Supposedly 7 to 10 years.

And the answer to the second question is, A LOT. Thousands of dollars. Maybe enough to call the car a total loss?!?!

To me, that's one of the biggest drawbacks to electric cars. But I think the battery technology will improve over time.

18. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

highflyer,

Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.

Sometimes things take a government mandate.

For example: Passengers are safer in car accidents now than ever before. Have you seen that video of a '59 Chevy running head-on into a '09 Chevy? Guy in the 59 Chevy = dead, the guy in the 09 Chevy walks away.

The market didn't make that happen. Was it a good thing? At the time, none of the car companies thought so. But I think it was.

In my industry: You don't hear that much about acid rain any more, do you? Is it because it was a hoax? No. Its because the government mandated power plants must reduce their emissions of sulfur dioxide.

Was it expensive? Yes. Who paid for it? You and me, by rate increases every time a utility had to upgrade their emission control equipment.

Was it a good thing? At the time, none of the utilities thought so. But I think it was.

19. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

ctreay

I don't think that was a car problem, I think that was a driver problem.

Hybrids and electric vehicles can probably go just as fast as their internal combustion counterparts.

20. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

7,500 dollar rebate from the government to help rich yuppies buy cars. Glad I could help. The rebate is more than I spent on my last few cars. Robin Hood in reverse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.