1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chevy Volt a joke

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by smsnyder, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Cost to operate a Chevy Volt

Eric Bolling (Fox Business Channel's Follow the Money) test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors.

For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine.

Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery. So, the range including the 9 gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles. It will take you 4 1/2 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours. In a typical road trip your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.

According to General Motors, the Volt battery holds 16 kwh of electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery.

The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned so I looked up what I pay for electricity.

I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh. 16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery.

$18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery.

Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine only that gets 32 mpg. $3.19 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.10 per mile.
    The gasoline powered car cost about $15,000 while the Volt costs $46,000.

So Obama wants us to pay 3 times as much for a car that costs more that 7 times as much to run and takes 3 times as long to drive across country.

REALLY?

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

$1.16 per kwh? You need to move. We just got a rate increase to 3 cents a kwh here in Washington. Go west young man.

3. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

2 things in life that are suppose to be better for you but are expensive...

1. Green Energy

2. Diets!!!!!!!!

4. bill parks

bill parks TS Member

$0.096 per KWH Here in Arkansas.

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

All these cars were designed for urban settings. Obama kinda forgot most people in cities are apartment dwellers, they don't have garages---where are these cars supposed to be plugged in? duh!!!

Phil Berkowitz

6. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

When I grew up in B'klyn,NY---there a thing called alternate side of the street parking. you had to move your car several times of the week to facilitate street cleaning-if you didn't it was towed, ticketed or both.

I was able to rent a garage, but the majority of residents weren't that lucky----a plug in car without a place to plug it in, is a sick joke.

Phil Berkowitz

7. mike b.

mike b. Member

Where is electricity over $1 a kwh ?? I live in San Diego and my highest rate (tiered to consumption)is about 30 cents a kwh.

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I figured the guy had his decimal place off a notch on the cost per kwh (it's 16 cents here and that's not considered cheap), but the 10 hour recharge time - if you can find a socket - makes that thing a real POS. Wait til they start cuttin' the cords off those things for copper.

9. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

How many times can the batteries be recharged before they would have to be replaced? Any one know the replacement cost? It can't be cheap.
    Mike Battista

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Don't these cars charge the battries while the engine takes over? If you have to charge it after every use, what is the point? Just buy a car that gets 40 mpg., you will be better off.

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Theres a new Prius--that gives you over 40mpg & has better interior than a Ford Escape. GM had the Volt jammed down their throats as part of the bail out, Its Obumma's green BS

Phil Berkowitz

12. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Smsnyder, your math is real fuzzy, my last month PECO electric bill was $299.72 for using 2,364 KWh that's 12.7 cents a KWh.

13. clayman51

clayman51 Member

I seen the show it was discussed on. He was giving negative reports on the Volt. So Eric said you give me one to drive for a week and then I will report back. He went 25 miles before the car ran out of power, almost the same spot each day. So needless to say his report was not in favor of the Volt!!

Mike,

my guess would be you could buy a whole new car cheaper for what the cost of the batteries would be!

Dennis

14. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Don't worry, all 40 people who purchased Chevy Volt's are happy in their little greenie world...the rest of us don't want a POS from GM.

Bob

15. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Not to worry...........The horseless carriage will never catch on!!

16. torqueman

torqueman Member

toyota corolla gets 35-38mpg just as big and alot cheaper hybrids are not worth the price!

17. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

The electric technology is really not where we need it to be yet. In a way I am glad that it is being done. I REALLY dislike HOW it is being done. There were electric delivery trucks for short routes in city use before WWII. In three different industrial environments, I drove a small electric jeep like vehicle made by Cushman or TaylorDunn. It worked great for my 77 acre area of responsibility. Instead of federally subsidizing and forcing the commuter use of electric vehicles, maybe just give a tax incentive to businesses to try electric vehicles for local deliveries. I could see Florists, medical home delivery, meter reading, street department supervisors, etc, be able to use electric utility vehicles. Of course interior heaters would be an issue in the frozen north. Making every taxpayer in the country guarantee GM to get rich no matter how poor the electric car performs, is not the right way to help the development of the technology. Don't even get me started on the foolish negative gain "bio fuel plan".

18. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Seems that all the support of the volt is to cover up serious governmental mistakes. The only vehicle ecectric besides the tesla that has any chance is the products by ZAP like their Alias.
    Joe

19. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

We've really come a long ways since the Dept of Energy was created, in 1975 when I got out of the Air Force, I went to college, money was tight so I traded in my 10 MPG pick up and got a Ford Pinto, yeah the rolling bomb, but it would get 39-40 MPH all the time, why is the best fuel economy still about the same?

20. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

The cars weigh more due to accessories and have bigger engines. Im guessing mile per horsepower is better. I would much rather crash in a civic get 39 mpgs (2012 Automatic) than that old pinto. Its not quite apples to apples.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.