1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chevy Truck Shift problem!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Frank C, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I have a 98 Chevy 1/2 ton. The other day I could not get the damn thing out of PARK. 1/2 hour later, got in started it up and it shifted fine??? today the same deal except I shifted it fine, backed up, turned around and put in Park, now it is stuck again!!!.

Normally You have to step on the brake pedal to shift it so there is some sort of switch/interlock that is screwing up....any ideas where to start looking? Frank C.

2. copper

copper Member

Was the steering wheel locked up also,

3. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I would say the steering wheel lock is giving you trouble.

4. Frank C

no that is not it

5. yenko

yenko TS Member

check on pedal shaft for a switch that resembles a brake switch.also try taking out of parkand putting in neutral before starting.

6. Frank C

If you cannot shift it out of park, how could I shift it into Neutral?? It starts fine, I couldn't shift it out of Park!!!

I reached up under the dash to the brake pedal shaft, found what appears to be the brake, shift switch, wiggled it and it then shifted fine.....hmm sum ting wong.....

7. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Frank, I'm not positive but I think there is a chevy bulletin or recall on this problem, give your local GM dealer a call the first of the week and cheek to see. It is the shifter inter lock switch and cable. There is a adj at for this at the brake pedal assy where the brake light switch is. Try pulling back slightly on the brake pedal when this happens and if will shift out of park, that will show you that it is out of adj.

thanks
    lee

8. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Your shift interlock solenoid isn't releasing. First make sure you have brake lights as the BSI gets its signal from there. Of course, if no lights pursue that issue.

You should be able to turn on the key, depress the brake pedal and hear the "thunk" of the interlock, it's just down the steering column forward the dash. It's a simple solenoid with a pin that slides thru the shift lock, locking it down.

IIRC, it's normally open, so I think if you want to do away with it til you can fix it, I believe it will retract if you take the wire off the switch. It's pretty easily seen, not so easy to get to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1950 chev truck shifting problems

1970 chevy truck shifting problem forum

2007 chevy truck down shift problem
chevrolet shifter on column1950