1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CHEVY TRAILBLAZER: Opinions Please!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bobby ward, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobby ward

bobby ward Member

Hello All,

I am looking at new trucks and since GM has priced Tahoes beyond the reach of this humble Civil Servant, I have lowered my sights and looking at Trailblazers..... I am looking for information/opinions from those who own them. My specific concerns are handling, gas mileage, and comfort. I would like to hear from those who have the 6 cylinder and the new 8 cylinder as well. What kind of mileage are you getting?

Thanks guys and gals!

Bobby

2. jmas

jmas TS Member

I drove a straight 6 Trailblazer for 5 years. Thought it was great. Very comfortable. I only got 23-24 mpg on a trip but I could live with that considering the rest of the assests of the vehicle. Replaced it with an Avalanche. WOW!

jmas

3. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I bought a 2002 when they came out. Knock on wood, no problems, but I am really disappointed in the gas mileage. No better than the Tahoe I drove before.

4. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

had a 6 cylinder one for 4 years and loved it. no problems at all. new one is trailblazer SS. 395 horsepower, all wheel drive. love it great handling and fun to drive EXCEPT 14 - 16 mpg general driving. price to pay for fun. if you buy a trailblazer all you really need is two wheel drive but make sure to buy positraction in the back. motordoc

5. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

P.S. If you know a dealer you can trust, you might want to consider a good used Tahoe which would cost less than a new TB. I'm thinking about trading my TB on a used Tahoe as I could use the add'l room.

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Bought 2 Trailblazers in 2003, my wife still drives one and a friend has the other...both have been good vehicles and have not had any problems.

As my wife will be retiring this August, we'll trade (or sell) the TB and get a new Tahoe or Suburban for travelling, etc.

Would I recommend a Trailblazer? Yes!

Curt - Delaware

7. jester-the-molester

jester-the-molester TS Member

My father had a 6 clyd for 3 years. All in all, it was dependable and averaged about 22 MPG. The issues were 1) the tranny began to shutter when it shifted in to 2nd gear (started at around 40,000 miles); 2) about every 4th or 5th time you used the A/C, you would head a clicking sound from under the dash; 3) the A/C would quit for no reason at all and then begin to work the next day (???). The dealer was clueless.

He got rid of it at around 60,000 miles; just didn't want to deal with what he felt were going to be inevitable problems. He now drives a C320 Benz and let me tell you, the quality ain't what it used to be. Been having some electrical problems.

8. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Bob Finger ... try running some injector cleaner through it. You may need a couple of doses. Bill Malcolm

9. lavarock

lavarock TS Member

IMHO the trailblazer are junky. I've known 2 friends that have sold them due to high maintenance costs.

10. Mark Schlabach

Mark Schlabach TS Member

I have a 2003 LTZ Trailblazer with 38,000 miles on it. Love it! Getting 17-19 mpg. city. GMC Envoy is also a nice vehicle, it even rides better than the Trailblazer.

11. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Bob, The problem when the check engine light comes on is usually with the oxygen sensor(s). The injector cleaner seems to work on the oxygen sensor as well. Bill Malcolm

12. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Also in reference to the "Check Engine" light....make sure that the gas cap is functioning properly. This happened with our '03 TB....had the dealer install a new one and the problem vanished. It has to be sealed tight, if not, the Check Engine light will stay on.

Curt

13. jbshep

jbshep Member

Have driven a GMC Envoy (same as Chevy Trailblazer) for four years and love it. My daughter has a Trailblazer with same great experience. Wife was rear-ended in hers by a Toyota sedan...totaled the Toyota but we only had to have our bumper re-painted...NO structural damage (the trailer hitch helped ...a lot!). - Brad

14. bobcatv

bobcatv TS Member

I own an '03 Trailblazer with the 4.2 straight 6. We love it. I have just over 90,000 miles on it. Problems: Power window on back/driver side broke (I think the kids had something to do with it). Wipers stuck in on position for awhile at around 40,000 and mysteriously worked properly about a week later. Replaced the water pump at 90,000.

We tow a boat over mountains and we've towed cars (on a trailer) for hundreds of miles. There is plenty of room as we have the EXT version with third row seating. We would definitely buy another one.

Jeff

15. Nate_w

Nate_w TS Member

My 02 TB has about 90k on it right now and is going strong. It's towed trailers thousands of miles without a problem. I generally get aroudn 16mpg (town) and 21 mpg(highway). I could probably do alot better, but when driving across Iowa you really don't have anything to slow down for. My parents liked mine so mucht that they bought the EXT version for themselves. I would definately by another.

-N

16. jimx200

jimx200 TS Member

FWIW, I saw on the sticker of a new TB that the transmission is made in France. Ahh, this global economy.

17. bobby ward

bobby ward Member

Thanks Gang,

Now does anyone have a Trailblazer with the 5.3 Vortec V8 Active Fuel Management engine? This is the one that runs on 4 cylinders at Highway speeds.

18. lvshooter

lvshooter TS Member

Bobby, good vehicle! Was GM dealer for 33 years and also had a Toyota store. All manufactures have good vehicles today and they all have their problems from time to time. Toyota store had seven service lanes and they were lined up every morning to the street. You might look at the new Acadia from GMC. Little larger than the Trailblazer buy smaller than the Tahoe or Yukon. I believe it is great value for the money and you owe it to yourself to take a look at it. Considering GM now has the 100,000 mile warranty including roadside assistance speaks well for the product.

Just my observation and enjoy whatever you buy. Preventative maintenance is the key to long vehicle life.

Good luck

19. bobcatv

bobcatv TS Member

Do a google search for "insert your car type here" problems. Not really an "Eye-Opener".

Every car from every manufacturer will have problems. Do a google search for "4-runner problems", is that an eye-opener?

Camry problems
    Corvette problems
    Charger problems
    Accord problems
    Cadillac problems
    Hummer problems
    F-150 problems

I'm not picking on any manufacturer, this is just a random sampling.
    Try any of these....you will see many many issues.

Jeff

20. Bubba

Bubba Member

Lisa2, you have made your point you have issues with the TrailBlazer. Others, including myself, have had good service out of the product.

I am currently on my second TrailBlazer sibling, the GMC Envoy. My first was an '03 with the 4.2L I-6 engine. Now I have the Envoy with the 5.3L V8. Really prefer the additional torque that the V8 provides. Mine does not have the fuel management (DOD) system. I prefer the Envoy because of the rear air suspension for the ride, and the different interior appointments.

Were I to be considering a new replacement, I would be strongly considering the TrailBlazer SS. Gotta love a Corvette engine in a mid size SUV. lol.

For a good forum regarding the TrailBlazer and its siblings try www.trailvoy.com. They have over 10,000 members with loads of info on the truck. There you will hear pro and con from a lot of owners.

GM has put a 100,000 mile 5 year power train warranty on their products for 2007. Many certified used also qualify for this warranty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.