1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chevy Cavilier sunroof will not close all the way

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by need to shoot more, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Hello All, I purchased this car about a month ago 2002 and the sunroof is stuck in the position where its ready too pull down the rear but does not. No problem with travle back and forth just the last 10% of the close any thing I can do ? my regular mechinic says go too the dealer? Thank you in advance? Actually I bought it for my daughter and @ 29 MPG I been using it, now I am in trouble with her and Mom.

2. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

Never could understand why anyone would pay extra for a car with a hole in the roof!!

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

With any luck there might be a manual override somewhere where you can crank it closed if its an electrical or motor problem.

4. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

Duct Tape may be your answer in this situation. Is the car silver or grey? Then the patch would match!

5. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Thanks too all

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I once sold cars at a new car dealership. When asked about a guarantee on the sunroof on one of our trade in's (doesn't matter what brand) I told him that I would guarantee it to leak.

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Factory-installed sunroofs have come a long way since the 1980s, when they were guaranteed to break and to leak until that happened. I'm a retired GM service manager and every vehicle we own is a GM product with a factory-installed sunroof. That should tell you something about my experience with them. Two of those vehicles are a 2002 and a 2003 and have exhibited no sunroof problems to date. Forget hunting a manual crank - most manufacturers dropped them a long time ago.

One of three things is likely going on with yours - either a stop switch is loose and stopping the motor prematurely, something is in the track that is causing the anti-pinch function to engage or the logic board up in the roof with the motor has failed. They aren't ugly hard to work on. Open it and examine the tracks from above; if nothing is in the track, just drop the headliner and sliding sunshade and everything is pretty much exposed. The glass panel itself comes off and is realigned after reinstallation with four Torx screws.

If you do find the cause is something electrical with which you need to seek a dealership's assistance, make sure they have a tech who is trained AND experienced with power sunroofs. Most smaller dealerships don't sell enough sunroof-equipped vehicles to either bother with factory training on them or, if one one of their techs did attend the course, he may not get enough practice on them to remember what he learned.

Ed

8. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

You can try to bump around on the roof while someone else hits the button, not hard enough to damage anything but sometimes it will shake enough to let the thing work one more time. Body shops usually can fix these things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.