1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chester Counties Most Popular Gun Club?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OGC Director, Sep 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

West Chester Gun Club has laid claim to "Chester Counties Most Popular Gun Club". I would like to put Oxford Gun Club in the running for the title. Are there any other chester county gun clubs that deserve a shot at this title?

If you shoot chester county please speak up and let your vote be counted. Or, do you run a chester county gun club that should be included in this shoot-off?

Oxford Gun Club offers Trap, Skeet, 5 Stand, Wobble, and Sporting Clays. We are open to the public with a good kitchen and great food. There are shotgun sports available every Tue. nite (5 stand), Wed nite (skeet, wobble), Thur nite (trap) and every Sunday (trap or sporting clays).

How do you vote?

2. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

What JZap said.

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Which club throws the most targets on a annual basis?

Curt

4. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Been to both but, havn't been to all, Oxford hands down. Some of the clubs in Chester and Montgomery County area should go down to Oxford to see how a decent program is run. Something going on almost everyday of the week, trap, skeet, S/C's. Can always get some decent eats at trap events and not feel sick as a dog on the way home. I find Oxford to have good folks in the right positions handeling things there.

5. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

Well it looks like the vote is 2 for each club right now but I know we have a lot of trapshooters who shoot Chester County clubs we have not heard from yet so stop reloading for a minute and let your voice be heard.

Ray and I were invited to shoot Tues nite green bird at West Chester yesterday so we went and had a good time. Both Ray and I shot 2 rds green bird at a cost of $15 for each of us.(non-mem cost, ouch) Ray missed the last target for a 24 while I ran 25. On our 2nd round we shot with John Wolf and some of his friends. Ray managed to miss the 1st target out, John dropped a couple in the middle, and I ran 25. At that time of day it really reminded me of the Twilight Monday Shoots at WTA with the shadows from the trees coming across the traphouses.

After shooting, we put a couple of bucks into the longbird but some other lucky shooter was drawn with $213 in the pot. He broke the target from post 1 on the 27 yrd line. Wish it had been me. We also had hot sausage with pasta salad made by John's wife.(Very Good)

All in all, a very nice night but OGC is still my favorite. I think that makes it 3 to 2.

6. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Me and Wife vote for West checter home of Bud & Dave

7. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

JayZap:

As a chester county resident I'm going to ask a silly question. When is the county championship and what is the program?

8. JTEA

JTEA Member

I have shot many targets at both clubs and have enjoyed both clubs. I have seen a number of changes at both over the years, and I remember when both packed huge crowds a number of times per year.

To keep things in perspective, just a small creek divides Chester County and Lancaster County where Atglen Sportsmen’s Club is located. It's membership is limited to 1200 with a waiting list and many Chester County residents, and more, are regulars.

I would split my vote since I enjoy both. I do not shoot as well at Oxford since the auto-traps were installed and target settings were changed, but more of my friends frequent the club.

I look forward to the registered shoot Sunday at West Chester, it's been awhile.

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Why is it?

1) Why is West Chester called West when it's in the eastern part of the county? Shouldn't it be East

Chester?

2) Why is the town of Chester in Delaware County?

3) Why does the program Sunday at WCGC start at noon instead of 10:00 AM?

Inquiring minds need to know....

Southern Curt

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Why is it?

1) Why is West Chester called West when it's in the eastern part of the county? Shouldn't it be East

Chester?

2) Why is the town of Chester in Delaware County?

3) Why does the program Sunday at WCGC start at noon instead of 10:00 AM?

Inquiring minds need to know....

Southern Curt

11. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Has there been some big changes at West Chester in the last year or so. I work 5 min. from the club and stopped in there a few times to shoot on Tuesdays. It is by no means out of my way home from work. Not much of a crowd, not much shooting, but, did see a few familiar faces from LP. Which was nice. Hope you guys are still doing fine. WC did have nice targets and I liked them, shot well there to. If I go to shoot during a week I like the food thing becasue I don't feel like stopping on the way home. It makes me spend more time at the club and shoot more rounds. The dinner thing may sound corny but, I'm willing to bet it's what keeps alot of guys coming back to a club becasue it is convienient for them(us).

12. JTEA

JTEA Member

Jay, the County Championship was held in July. I missed it as well, too busy.

Apparent program change from web posting. I imagine they have figured out that people would like to see more than silhouettes when they shoot (ie. looking into the sun) so they're delaying start. Wish more clubs would get the idea.

JT

13. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Curt, I have no reasonable answer for questions 1 and 2. I have often wondered what besotted hacks drew and redrew the political boundaries in SE PA. Overlay the township map over the county map and you will be even move amazed. BTW "township" does not have anything to do with towns. Township boundaries run through many towns. Lower Providence Township is considerably North of Upper Providence Township.

The Sunday ATA program at WCGC started at 11 AM for years. It was recently moved to noon because a majority of the ATA shooters prefer to shoot after noon. They don't show up before then. So if you signed up to shoot at 11 AM, you would sit around for the better part of a hour before the first squad was filled and sent out. Now there is no waiting around.

The Sunday Summer League started at 11 AM. It started 15 minutes late on a couple of occasions, just because people rolled in between 11 and 11:30.

It might be a matter of shooter habit. None of the other local clubs start before noon (noise ordinances, etc.). I think it is a product of a bygone age where people spent the morning in church and shot in the afternoon. It's a lead pipe cinch that the three or four clubs I shoot ATA at are laid out such that the afternoon sun is in the most advantageous position. Millington, the top line at Elysburg, and DCFS are the only places I frequent where the sun at mid morning is in a favorable position.

On your initial question, number of targets, I don't know. I do know that through 2007, WCGC threw more registered targets than any other club (except PSSA home grounds at Elysburg) in the State. If memory serves, Buck County Fish & Game was second. I don't have the ATA data for later years. Anyway, number of targets thrown is not the best metric. Millington, for example, does not throw as many targets as some other clubs, but I like shooting there. In fact, I'm looking forward to this weekend's Annie Oakly/Frank Butler shoot.

14. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Spanky, it depends on what time you go on Tuesdays. June and July are big months. August is a big vacation month, so shooting is down to 100-120 rounds each night.

If you like to eat, make sure you are on the email list, so you receive the weekly menu. In the last month the 1 1/2 pound lobster dinner with all the trimmings for $15, and the porterhouse steak dinner for $10 were HUGE crown pleasers.

You are right about the food thing. Two of our newest members are elderly. They live in a retirement community and come on Sundays and Tuesdays just to eat. They may shoot a round or two, but food and conversation are the main draws. We also have several wives join their husbands for dinner on Tuesdays. Good food certainly is a draw, and we are fortunate to have it.

15. jwolf@wcgc

jwolf@wcgc TS Member

I have the traps set up and ready for practice at 10 am for all shooters, especially our members who are not ATA members and do not participate in the ATA shoots. They like to shoot too.

16. jwolf@wcgc

jwolf@wcgc TS Member

Concerning my vote for Chester County's most popular gun club, thats a tough one. My Dad took me to WCGC to start trapshooting when I was 10 and I've been shooting there since (40 yrs). There are old B/W pictures of family members hanging on the walls of the club house. I do have a strong feelings for "my" club, but I must say OGC and SLCF&S and ASC are very nice places to shoot and very frienly clubs (I know SLCF&S and ASC are not in CC). Maybe we should take it out to the 16 yard line and shoot it out! officers of clubs VS board of directors of clubs. 50 16 yard targets - 50 27 yard targets followed by a potluck picnic, that way we can laugh our butts off over any unsubstantiated claims "someone" may have made!!!

17. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

zzt, I'm gonna stop by in the next few weeks. Work is only 5-10 minutes away. I've been there before on a few occasions. Are you trying to say they have between 100-120 squads on a Tuesday night. If so WCGC has made one heck of a turn around since I was there last. Heck, I don't remember the clubhouse being that damn big. My couriosity is peaked now and I'd like to run into a few of the guys who use to shoot at Lower Providence if they are still your regulars. I remember getting there early and guys were and had been shooting. They must of started a 2:00pm back then. I'll get there before the end of the month. I'll look you up.

18. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Spanky, 100~120 25 bird events, not squads. From your mouth to god's ears.

19. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

If starting this thread makes some old regulars revist some of their old stomping ground and maybe visiting some new one's than I'm more than happy with the results. Take the old gun out of the closet and make the rounds. I'm sure you will have a good time and bring your friends with you the shooting clubs need your support.

20. jwolf@wcgc

jwolf@wcgc TS Member

Went down to Oxford last. Once again I was greeted as a friend by all. The girls at the canteen exclaimed they had missed us and were happy to see us. My daughter becca was missed. Adam had brought his cub scout fund raiser popcorn and raised some funds for scouts. I shoot a couple of rounds of green bird- (no scores to brag about)and bought tickets for all events. A great time at oxford gun club and nice to see old friends.
    jon wolf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.