1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chemicals that will degrade polyethylene wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Em, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

what is your conclusion or recommendation based on that?

ie Use xyz to clean your barrels.... etc?

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I discovered years ago that good old aerosol automotive brake parts cleaner causes wad deposits to crinkle up and become easily removed.

Ed

3. Soot Them All

Soot Them All Active Member

I just soak my choke tubes in laquer thinner, after 10 minutes it fall out, cheap and simple, Steve

4. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

5. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Mike, my experience is that all these claims of acetone wad plastic removal miracles are bogus. Acetone will do nothing as you have found and won't harm stock finishes either. Friction removes wad plastic. I use wd40 and a bronze brush in a drill. I use wd40 because it's cheap and is a good rust preventative.

6. \/\/\/Z\/\/\/

\/\/\/Z\/\/\/ Member

Word to the wise ... be careful in consistently using "solvents" in closed areas. There are all sorts of data showing increased risks of respiratory diseases as well as increases in certain cancers (brain tumors)in people exposed to solvents. To define "risk," Risk = X-times more likely to result in a certain disease and does not mean everyone exposed will be sick - you just have a high chance.

I found that a light coating of machine oil over-night loosens up any unwanted materials (wad residue included). Afterwards, if you run a clean cloth through you'll have a brilliant looking clean barrel. The longer the oil stays in contact the better the cleaning. No smell, no fuss.

Good health to all!

-- Z

7. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

So far, I have learned a lot! Esp that acetone won't touch the plastic as I was led to believe. The other ingredients in the Ed's bore cleaner must really be the important stuff! I have ordered the quickshot mentioned by trw and now, I am really interested in the rgs! If quickshot does not do it, I will try the rgs! Thanks again guys for the education! Tom Rhoads

8. Zoom.Golly

Zoom.Golly Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, interesting. I never has success with either brake cleaner nor carburetor cleaner. I must have been using the non-chlorinated stuff. Never like using either.

I found something much better that I can use inside and doesn't upset my wife.

9. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

I put a mark on my wads with a sharpie and then found them after shooting and the mark was still on the shot wad. It was hard to find my wads, they are green.

If the wad left deposits in my barrel, why can I still see my mark on the wad?

Kenny