1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheeseheads: need braut receipe

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I'm going to a Bar-b-que this Sunday. They are doing ribs for dinner, I'm to provide food for lunch.

I stopped by and got a bunch of "Johnsonville" brauts this afternoon and some hotdog buns. I waa wondering what you guys favorite way of cooking them.

I just ate one and it was pretty good. I put 1 braut in a bowl with a can of beer and let it sit for 3 or 4 hours in the frig. When I was ready to cook it I put it in a pan and covered with beer and some onions and green bell peppers and a sweet banana pepper out of the garden. I also added some mustard into the simmering bowl. I then let it simmer for 25 minutes and then stuck it on a hot grill for another 6 or 7 minutes. Pretty damn good.

Anybody got any favorites that might be better?

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

What ya did is as good as it gets!

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Bratwurst is at its best with brown mustard and sauerkraut. If you are using kraut from the store, put some brown sugar and poppy seed or caraway seed in it and cook it till the flavor mellows and the texture softens a bit. Canned sauerkraut is too acidic and bitter.

Purists do not pre cook brats, but this requires that the grilling be done with extra care, to an internal temp of 165 degrees. the best brats I have had were Johnsonville, at the Dairyland Classic motorcycle race in Plymouth, Wis. And they were not pre cooked.

Usinger's of Milwaukee is high quality stuff, above average and a little more pricey but worth it.

You may want to try Sheboygan style, with 2 brats on a crusty semmel roll or Kaiser. In order to avoid being a culinary pissant, you now have to go to the above site and learn.

HM

4. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Thanks halfmile, that is the kind of website I'm looking for.

5. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Usingers are awesome, they're stuff is great, but not as widepsread as some other brands. Johnsonville is best of the mass market brands. There are many small butcher shops around Wisconsin that make great specialty brats.

Use the fresh brats, no pre-cooked! I prefer to simmer them in beer (Genuine Draft or High-life are good) I don't like to use light beer, with lots of onion for an hour or so prior to cooking.

I grill them with VERY LOW heat to just brown the outsides and cook them through. You don't want to burn them or split them open as the juices all run out. Charcoal is better than gas.

You can do as halfmile with says and garnish some "Franks" Kraut (with caraway) I like some "Koops" spicy brown mustard and "Secret Stadium Sauce" and some chopped onion. You can do your pepper thing if you like them.

You can keep warm in fresh beer on low temp after cooking.

I prefer a HEAVY Brat bun over a hot-dog bun.

SW

ps. Secret Stadium Sauce is what they serve at Miller Park, but we can get it at some of the local grocers. It's Ketchup with a kick!

6. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

EE Why do you southern boys call pork BBQ when every good Texan knows it's beef BBQ?

All depends where you are from.

But how do you BBQ a brat? 15 or 18 hours in the smoker with hickory or apple wood fire?

Rock

Jim

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I believe Barbecue in this case is vernacular for an outdoor party with grilled food.

Don't be so anal.

HM

8. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Don't call it BBQ, it's grilling. BBQ is low and slow, Grilling is hot and fast. (Even some yankees know that...) Simmer the brats in a dark beer, a nice porter ale would do very nicely, none of that miller light crap. You can simmer them for about an hour...then they go on the grill briefly! You don't want them dark otherwise all the juices will get cooked out of them. Never poke the brat either, do your best to keep the casing intact. Don't forget the grilled onions and sour kraut! And a little mustard never hurt either. Good luck!
    -Trappy

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Brats and a 6 pack, Wisconsins true 7 course meal ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. Donm

Donm Active Member

Trappy. You got it. You've done this before.
    If ever in SE. Wisconsin go to a town called Cudahy and get some Brats and Polish at Adamczyk Foods. A really small shop but the best sausage I have ever had.

11. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

Schulte's IGA meat department in Jefferson City Missouri makes the best home made brats ever - they also make all the other kinds of home made sausages and they are great too - they have their own recipe and stuff them themselves - great on the grill - their brats are so full of cholesteral they will squirt grease out for 2 minutes when you grill them -- yes, really bad for you, but oh so good!!. the beav

12. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Donm, I'm a fan of Miesfelds in Sheboygan, if you haven't been there it's worth a trip! Cudahy just south of Milwaukee? I'm in Northeastern IL, so I'll definitely check it out sometime.
    -Trappy

13. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

EE

Had dinner at the Moonlite in Owensboro, KY good not great, but that's my opinion and that is the only one that counts for me. This is voted best in KY (by who )?

There were three other BBQ joints in Owensboro two smoked over low hickory. The best tasting were grilled hot and quick over apple wood fire. Had great taste fell off the bone clean and melted literally in my mouth. You have choices of BBQ sauces at the table or put on the meat for the last ten min. of grilling. So say what you will you can get great BBQ from a grill.

That being said how do you BBQ a Brat in the south? That is the question asked.

Rock

Jim

14. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

So what time is lunch???

Ed Yanchok

15. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Are we having Brats or Brisket?

SW

16. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Both of course! Have to have some ribs and a pork shoulder as well! As for you Carolina guys, I expect to get some of the vinegar based BBQ sauce.
    -Trappy

17. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

My favorite kraut recipe is to take kraut from a bag (never canned), drain, add back about a cup of water, add chopped sweet onion and one apple, 1 T. caraway seeds, new potatoes and pressure cook for about 5-8 minutes.

18. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

Google wisconsin soul food. Lots of good info on how to cook brats. Check out all there pages you will like it.

To night at 12pm I will put two pork shoulder one brisket packer on the Stumps smoker at 225 for about 12 plus hours of low and slow. In the morning the ribs go on. Using lump and cheery wood.

19. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

You picked the right brand of Brats. I am a Wiconsin native and grew up on Johnsnoville. Fatty, maybe, but they're for occasions(sp) We cooked ours by par boiling them in beer, butter an onions until gray, then put them on the grill to brown them. Afterward any that were left were returned to the beer pan and boy were these the best-crusty and all!

20. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I just boil them in beer and finish them on a grill smothered in peppers and onions.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Jim45/Trap%20Pics/?action=view&current=100_0463.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.